Manager, Media Research
Posted on: May 18, 2018
. Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals. As a Cengage employee, you will pioneer transforming the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.Are we right for you?We bring our "A" game, unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, everything we do, we do for the learner.What You'll Do Here:The Manager, Media Research for National Geographic Learning is responsible for the quality of photography and media used in NGL products. The manager oversees image selection in compliance with NGL standards, systems, and policies. Responsible for managing internal and external researchers, while overseeing end-to-end workflow processes & systems, including budgeting, pre-clearance, scheduling, quality control, reporting and record-keeping. The Media Research Manager manages a team of internal researchers, freelancers, and vendors who conceptualize, research, select, present and track photos, permissioned illustration, fine art, video and other visual media used in NGL programs. Maintains and oversees use of images research and asset management systems; ensures staff and vendors are properly trained on systems and processes. Delegates workload and manages internal/external resource capacity to assure timely, cost-effective, accurate, and appropriate visual content for NGL product. Manages team goals and provides direction. Effectively communicates and collaborates within team and across Design, Production, Product, and Cengage Legal/Intellectual Property.
- Assures photo research meets the conceptual, editorial, instructional, design, and production requirements of a program.
- Manages the process of selecting visual media that support the creative design vision of a program and meet customer expectations for the brand.
- Participates in the creative process during prototyping, project launch, and product development or delegates to staff and monitors.
- Oversees the process of creating complete, accurate photo specs and guidelines.
- Creates, updates, and champions National Geographic Learning photo standards and trains staff and vendors in meeting them.
- Stays abreast of National Geographic Society's photographic assets and standards to incorporate them into NGL products.
- Ensures selected images and media can be licensed to business requirements by the Rights Acquisition Team.
- Partners with Rights Acquisition Team to promote use of Cengage preferred sources for use of image and media content in NGL products.
- Ensures complete, timely, and organized handover of required rights data to the Cengage Rights Acquisition Team for licensing.
- Creates, manages, and reports on image and media budgets.
- Collaborates with Product and Production to create schedules and workflows.
- Performs capacity planning for internal and external sources and manages staff time effectively.
- Meets all schedules to assure on time delivery of programs.
- Oversees media research vendor contracts and invoicing.
- Negotiates favorable rates and provides guidance to team for niche image sources.
- Manages internal staff, freelance staff, and outside vendors, in multiple locations.
- Works effectively with vendors. Manages the integration of vendor tasks and tracks and reviews vendor deliverables.
- Manages NGL's content systems for images and media in partnership with IT.
- Ensures that team is focused on continuous improvement of products and processes. Holds team accountable for process implementation.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Creates a high-performance team environment that provides challenge, accountability for results - including positive recognition that contributes to achievement of the company's business objectives.
- Establish clear goals/objectives for all direct reports including appropriate action plans for achieving desired results.
- Maintain ongoing communication with direct reports related to their job performance and career goals by providing ongoing coaching and feedback.
- Continually network to develop and maintain a "bench" of recruitment candidates, especially those at competitive businesses.
- Networks to develop and maintain additional vendor partnerships.
- Responds to requests for information and prepares reports as needed.
- Perform additional responsibilities as needed to achieve company goals. Skills You Will Need Here:Required
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum eight years' experience in photo or media research
- Expert knowledge of standard and niche sources for photography
- Must be proficient in the Macintosh publishing environment
- Must be able to manage and/or build databases to track information
- Understanding of basics of intellectual property law
- Must be proficient in Adobe Acrobat and PhotoShop, FileMaker Pro or similar database software, and Excel or other similar data display software
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong negotiating skills and interpersonal skills essential
- Ability to develop relationships within the team and with cross-functional teams and stakeholders. Ability to negotiate and settle disputes equitably
- Ability to successfully lead process improvement initiatives, to develop and motivate staff to implement change
- Ability to build a team and establish strong rapport with remote staff Preferred
- Degree in photography, design, or fine art
- Knowledge of National Geographic Society's photographers and media/image assets
- Supervisory experience
- Experience leading, mentoring, and training staff
- Experience in educational publishing highly desired with both print and digital products
- Experience with Extensis Portfolio or similar digital asset management systems
Keywords: Cengage, Chicago, Manager, Media Research, Advertising, Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!