Company: American Hospital Association
Posted on: June 14, 2018
Requisition Number 18-0021 Post Date 4/2/2018 Title Senior Writer City Washington State DC Description POSITION PURPOSE
Working with the Vice President, Advocacy & Member Communications, the Senior Writer plays a key role in developing the written voice of the association, drafting opinion pieces, blogs, letters, statements, presentations, talking points and more for AHA senior
leaders and chair officers. Contributes to the broad range of advocacy communications projects, ensures that diverse audiences hear a consistent and accurate message from the AHA. Creates a message that reflects AHA values of people, integrity, leadership,
diversity, collaboration, excellence and innovation, and always reminds dues paying members of the value of their investment in the AHA as their national organization.
- Drafts blogs and opinion pieces to convey the association's positions to the public, members and other stakeholders.
- Composes presentations, talking points and testimony on behalf of association senior leaders and chair officers.
- Contributes to drafting statements on behalf of the association and its leaders.
- Drafts introductions, awards presentations and related scripting for the AHA Annual Membership meeting. Provides other scripting as required.
- Reviews and edits other communications products to ensure consistent voice.
- Drafts letters to members, commendations, thank you notes, etc. from senior leaders.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Years of experience may be substituted for education.
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
Desired fields of study: Journalism, English, Communications
Required Experience: 7-10 years
Desired area/fields(s) in which experience was obtained:
Minimum 7 years of professional writing experience is required.
Experience writing in the health care field is preferred.
- Mastery of AP Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style.
- Knowledge of legislative, regulatory, quality and legal issues affecting the hospital and health system field.
- Intermediate computer and Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) skills are required.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Ability to work well in a demanding environment is required.
- Ability to grasp complex issues, to communicate them both orally and in written format in an understandable way.
- Ability to build trust and influence others.
- Ability to drive solutions and work collaboratively in a changing priority environment.
- Ability to ensure the quality, content and appropriate tone of communications and advance AHA objectives through clear, crisp and compelling prose.
- Ability to demonstrate a keen understanding of the hospital field and to effectively communicate issues of concern to our members through the AHA prism and filter.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to conduct research.
We offer an excellent total compensation package, which includes medical/dental coverage (PPO/HMO), vision care, life insurance, short and long-term disability plans, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, paid vacation/holidays/sick days, wellness programs and more!
The American Hospital Association (AHA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. We will provide
reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If, because of a medical condition
or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call (312) 422-3000 and ask for the Director, Human Resources and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. The AHA participates in
the E-Verify Program.
Keywords: American Hospital Association, Chicago, Senior Writer, Advertising, Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!