Special Education Teacher (Math Grades 6-8)
Company: South Holland School District 150
Location: South Holland
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Middle School Teaching/Special Education Teacher
McKinley Junior High and Elementary
- Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to
maximize the learning experience of students with special needs, in
academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by
implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and
student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students'
specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of
students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and
recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome
issues and maximize learning.
- Participates in PPT's and assists in developing Individual
Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students'
IEP's and behavior management plans.
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and
institutions, including state and federal authorities as
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members
to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including
students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with
social work services.
- Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide
counseling that will lead each student to increased personal
growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as
liaison between home and school.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current
developments in the educational field by attending seminars,
workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and
by maintaining professional relationships with members of
institutions of higher learning and the business community.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete
record-keeping and providing student information to prospective
colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and
ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Assists in the orientation of new teachers, and provides
in-service training in guidance.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other
supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and
other central office administrators as designated by the
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and
responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers,
printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
- Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing,
methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the
educational experience of students with special needs.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the
formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding
education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance
and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working
relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental
Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this
- State Certification as a Special Education Teacher.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education
discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree in Special Education.
Successful prior special education teaching experience for the
appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Keywords: South Holland School District 150, Chicago , Special Education Teacher (Math Grades 6-8), Education / Teaching , South Holland, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!