Principal Packaging Engineer
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Location: Lake Forest
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.About Abbott DiagnosticsThe
key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast,
accurate diagnosis. Abbott's life-changing tests and diagnostic
tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and
transform the way the world is managing health. Our pioneering
technology spans the world of healthcare operations - with medical
diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions
for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency
departments, physician offices and clinics. Our location in Lake
Forest, IL, currently has an opportunity for a Principal Packaging
Engineer. This team member will lead the packaging team to
establish packaging systems with optimal effectiveness. The
Packaging Engineering group designs, tests, and implements
packaging designs that are an integral part of the organization's
Product Development process. The team also reviews and improves
existing packaging designs, tests standards and guidelines for
developing packaging solutions for the organization's products.
Packaging engineers work with internal resources and packaging
suppliers to achieve functional packaging goals. WHAT YOU'LL
- Develops and specifies new and revised packaging.
- Provides direction in the development and implementation
- Requires in-depth knowledge of industry regulatory requirements
for packaging components and their related testing and
- Coach & mentor individual engineers and the entire staff in the
lab to assure that best business decisions are made for ADD
considering strategic direction and technical risk.
- Fosters a diverse workplace that enables all participants to
contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process and
systems, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype
development, and performance testing protocol approach.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving
designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to
determine physical characteristics of item, special handling,
environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials
required for packaging and handling. Understand the full system
value chain from vendor production, fill site operations to freight
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation.
Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically
conduct vendor reviews.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, QA, product
management, operations, and sourcing.
- Participate in cross functional launch teams, to deliver new
products to market.
- Identify and implement cost saving and sustainability
initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency,
transportation, and storage.
- Work closely with supply chain to optimize packaging supply
base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization,
standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer,
regulatory, and internal requirements.
- Be comfortable and proficient presenting projects to teams and
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to
develop and validate packaging designs.
- Work with operations functions to ensure that the packaging
designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that
packaging exceeds internal and external customer specifications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRINGRequired:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- 8 years related work experience.
- Provides direction and monitors progress of exempt specialists
and/or supervisory staff toward departmental goals; monitors costs
of projects and of human and material resources within a department
or unit; monitors company-wide indicators such as market share and
profitability; monitors external environment in area of technical
or professional responsibility.
- Will perform this job in a quality system environment.
- Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance
with governmental regulations.
- Develops and/or identifies new work processes and the improved
utilization of human and material resources within the assigned or
related functions or groups; facilitates others' participation in
the continuous improvement program; investigates and solves
problems that impact work processes and personnel within or across
units or departments; develops and communicates a vision for the
organizational unit assigned. Preferred:
- Bachelor's degree in packaging engineering, Engineering, Life
Sciences or closely related discipline; Master's degree
- Experience managing and coaching a team
- Packaging Material experience in corrugate/carton board,
labeling/decoration, with rigid plastics and flexible films. DOT/DG
Certification and Cold Chain experience a plus.
- Demonstrable proficiency in CAPE/Topps, Artios CAD, AutoCAD,
and Solidworks, MS Office Suite including Power Point needed.
- Experience working in a packaging lab
- Experience in healthcare, medical device or pharmaceutical
- Knowledge and understanding of medical device requirements
(e.g. EUMDR), packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM,
ISTA, DOT, IMDG, IATA etc.), drafting and specification
- Full systems engineering for packaging from vendor, through
manufacturing, distribution to end user.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement
- ISO 9001 certification (e.g., CQA, CQE, CQIA)
- Experience in rapid prototyping
- Ability to demonstrate project management skills and
- Root cause analysis & Lean/6-Sigma methodologies. Certification
a plus WHAT WE OFFER At Abbott, you can have a good job that can
grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
communities Learn more about our benefits that add real value to
your life to help you live fully: Follow your career aspirations to
Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the
growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity. Connect with
us at , on Facebook at and on
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Chicago , Principal Packaging Engineer, Engineering , Lake Forest, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!