Forensic Structural Engineer
Company: Building Envelope Consultants, Ltd.
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Position: Forensic Structural EngineerAvailable Openings:
Waukesha, WI - Chicago, IL - St. Louis, MO -Kansas City, MO -
Denver, CO - Indianapolis, INPosition Type: Full or Part TimeApply
at our website!About the OrganizationBuilding Envelope Consultants,
Ltd. (BEC) is a group of Professional Engineers, Architects, and
Building Science Professionals who specialize in the inspection,
design and forensic testing of all elements of the "Building
Envelope". BEC is the complete property inspection and design team
where we encourage and support professional development, freedom of
decision-making, and creativity. Utilizing forensic tests and
investigative approaches, BEC provides expert inspection and
remedial building design services for roofs, walls, foundations,
and their component parts throughout a diverse commercial,
industrial, and residential clientele across the Midwest. All made
possible by BEC's determination and spirit, which brings along an
extensive list of connections and direct involvement with multiple
professional organizations throughout the industry.About the JobBEC
is seeking a Structural Engineer to station in one of our offices
across the Midwest, or Civil Engineer with a structural emphasis,
with an investigative nature to ensure the development and
successful implementation of sound engineering designs for
structural and building envelope projects. These projects will
require originality and will provide an opportunity to creatively
apply engineering skills, superb analytical skills and exceptional
problem-solving skills to devise solutions to challenging forensic
engineering scenarios. This position will be involved with the full
cycle of inspecting, assessing, designing and finalizing structural
projects.A successful candidate will have interest in public safety
and physical integrity of buildings and other structures. They will
possess exemplary project management skills and comprehensive
knowledge of construction processes, materials and building codes.
Being a part of a growing company, the ability to be versatile and
accept some responsibility beyond the job description should be
expected.A keen attention to detail and an ability to communicate
clearly in both written and verbal form is required to coordinate
with other engineers and building envelope experts to ensure
successful projects and designs. Most of the time, this will occur
in a fast-paced environment where you will frequently travel
(occasionally overnight) and need to be comfortable with heights,
roofs of all shapes and sizes, tight spaces, lifts, ladders, active
construction sites, heat and cold.Structural Engineer
- Perform fieldwork to inspect, assess and develop solutions for
building envelope issues.
- Prepare reports, designs, calculations, drawings, and
- Review, revise and seal reports, designs, drawings, and
- Evaluate existing structures as a forensic analyst.
- Select appropriate construction materials based on strength and
- Communicate important changes that need to be made in reports
and ensure changes are accurately made.
- Liaise with project members and professional staff such as
architects, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, system
designers and roof consultants.
- Monitor and inspect work performed by contractors to ensure
structural soundness and compliance with project drawings and
- Administer contracts and manage projects.
- Provide technical advice for designs, reports, construction,
modifications, and construction documents.
- Obtain building official approval.
- Support non-structural inspections and projects when
- Test materials and structures to determine the adequacy and
strength of the various building envelope aspects like foundations,
concrete, asphalt, steel, water proofing, etc.
- Recognize environmental risks and incorporate those into design
- Use computer-aided design.Job Requirements
- Engineering degree in Structural Engineering, or Civil or
Architectural Engineering with Structural Emphasis.
- 6 years of work experience as a Structural Engineer
- Professional Engineering License (Ideal)
- State licensed Structural Engineer. Ideally in the State of
Illinois, or ability to quickly acquire it upon hire. Engineering
account with NCEES a plus.
- Experience in project management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction methods, materials, and
- Ability to liaise with professionals from other disciplines and
- Three-dimensional conceptual skills.
- Excellent communication and IT skills (Microsoft Office
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and/or as part of a team.
- Must be willing and able to travel as required. This will
include occasional overnight(s).
- Must be comfortable with heights, steep slopes, and confined
- Competitive Pay based on Experience and Education
- Full Health, Vision, Dental and Life Insurance
- 401 (K) and Paid Vacation
- Professional Membership and Continuing Education
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in an expanding
Keywords: Building Envelope Consultants, Ltd., Chicago , Forensic Structural Engineer, Engineering , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!