Food Safety and Sanitation Manager
Company: Newly Weds-- Foods
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Job Summary The Food Safety & Sanitation Manager oversees the
execution of corporate and local company policies, procedures, and
training elements in three key areas of responsibility to include
food safety, food plant sanitation and occupational health and
safety. The individual in this position will effectively work with
division management to ensure that key food safety / sanitation /
health & safety objectives and goals are achieved. This position
reports directly to the Plant Manager with a dotted line report to
the Director - Food Sanitation & Hygiene, Corporate Safety
Essential Functions Food Safety:
- Execute all corporate food safety related strategies, policies
and procedures at the plant level. Effectively communicate and work
with all related departments to identify food safety hazards and to
effectively mitigate food safety risks.
- Manage and direct critical elements of the Food Safety Plan
including preventive controls and prerequisite programs as they
relate to sanitation and allergen control to include monitoring and
- Routinely audit food safety practices to evaluate performance
and compliance; provide objective feedback to plant management to
address opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal food safety
laws including applicable parts of the Code of Federal Regulations,
FDA Food Code and Good Manufacturing Practices Regulations.
- Participate and assist in external auditing schemes such as
GFSI - BRC / SQF requirements including various customer / 3rd
party audit expectations. Analyze audit results; implement
corrective actions as required to address audit nonconformances.
Food Plant Sanitation:
- Assist in the planning, supervising, and administration of
sanitation programs, policies and practices designed to ensure
plant cleanliness and regulatory compliance.
- Conduct effective, risk-based sanitation audits to identify
gaps and improvement opportunities to ensure food safety and
compliance with applicable regulatory requirements, company
policies / procedures and customer expectations.
- Monitor, verify and validate equipment cleaning methods
including recommendations to meet plant sanitation and
microbiological objectives. Oversee plant sanitation and
environmental pathogen control.
- Address sanitation requirements using Master Cleaning Schedules
(MCS) and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP). Conduct
necessary training to address sanitation / hygiene / GMP
- Oversee and direct activities related to pest control including
monitoring, recordkeeping, exclusion practices and treatment
programs. Occupational Health & Safety:
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local
safety standards and regulations including industry best practices.
Responsible for OSHA compliance and workplace safety including
required training programs.
- Directs and assists with the investigation of workplace
accidents/injuries and near-misses. Oversees the preparation of
accident reports including root-cause analysis, identification of
causal factors and recommended corrective actions. Oversees the
implementation of corrective actions.
- Develop and maintain workplace safety procedures and policies,
and design, develop and deliver related training to meet the needs
and initiatives of the organization.
- Reduces workers' compensation claims and associated costs
through the prevention of workplace accident/injuries.
- Perform additional duties or assignments as needed.
Required Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Environmental Health or
related Science field.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in food plant operations, food
safety, sanitation and or pest control.
- Strong knowledge of food safety systems and practices related
to food hygiene, sanitation, SSOPs, GMPs.
- Experience with OSHA, EPA and other regulations and standards
such as NFPA, NIOSH.
- Excellent team building, oral, written and interpersonal
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word/Excel)
and Lotus Notes.
- Ability to work within a food plant environment without
- Minimum two years supervisory / auditing / regulatory
experience in a food manufacturing environment.
- Professional development - Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP
and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Working knowledge of GFSI standards; internal or lead auditor
certification (SQF, BRC, FSSC22000). Newly Weds Foods is an Equal
Opportunity Employer Minorities/Veterans/Females/Disabled Newly
Weds Foods will only employ those who are legally authorized to
work in the United States without assistance or support from Newly
Weds Foods. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the
successful completion of a background investigation and drug
Keywords: Newly Weds-- Foods, Chicago , Food Safety and Sanitation Manager, Executive , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!