Director of Operations
Company: Montage Hotels
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Live Your Passion. Add Your Magic.
At Montage International, we are doing something different,
something exciting and it takes passionate people to bring our
vision to life. We have built a culture that leads with the
important notion we live by every day; do what you love. If this
resonates with you, we look forward to receiving your
We welcome applicants with disabilities and provide reasonable
accommodations as needed to our applicants. Please discuss with our
hiring managers during our selection processes.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Assist the General Manager in managing the entire hotel operations.
Communicate the Company direction and goals to the associates and
motivate the team to achieve best possible level of
RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
- Provide leadership and support to the hotel operational and
- Provide inspirational expertise and innovative ideas to all
- Act with integrity, including being honest and candid while
still maintaining the confidentiality of information where required
or consistent with company's policy.
- Assume responsibility for the safety & security of all hotel
guests & colleagues.
- Assume responsibility for the day to day running of the
- Observe both the form and spirit of laws and governmental rules
and regulations, accounting standard and company policy.
- Provide General Manager with constant feedback on operational
and guests issues
- In absence of the General Manager assume his/her
- Is an active member of the Executive Committee.
- Constantly seeks new procedures, methods and policies, which
could improve business results and servicing at all operational
- Anticipate business and operations needs of the outlets. To
discuss and participate with the General Manager and Director of
Sales & Marketing to develop strategic marketing plans for the
- Assist and provide guidance in setting financial objectives,
operating & capital budgets with the respective department
- Supervise the function of all Rooms and Food and Beverage
Division managers, associates, facilities, sales and costs to
ensure maximum departmental profit is achieved.
- To be aware of the financial aspects of the Sales & Marketing
Department for day-to-day operations.
- Control Operating expenses, payroll and staffing levels through
planning of needs and review of purchase orders and labor
productivity standards for day-to-day operations.
- Attend department heads meeting and other meetings for future
- Conduct daily briefings and monthly meetings to monitor the
operations, service standards, as well as review general business
performance with monthly KPI reviews with all departments.
- Visits all departments daily and observes routine activities.
Responsible for the smooth running of day-to-day rooms and/or
F&B functions of the hotel.
- Conduct quality checks with regards to the Room, Public Area
and F&B outlets.
- Review the daily financial performance and attend to all
matters pertaining to the well-being and efficient operation of the
hotel on a daily operational basis.
- Keep the General Manager well informed of daily
- Work closely with other departments to ensure groups and
special functions are handled smoothly.
- Constantly keep General Manager informed of associate problems,
guest complaints and any emergencies such as fire and
- Review, design and constantly develop better service procedures
and work flows of all operating departments on a continuous basis.
Ensure the successful implementation of all company and
departmental procedures and workflows. Lead the teams to ensure the
highest quality of service and production at all times.
- Perform regular inspection of rooms, public areas and F&B
outlets including function spaces to ensure the areas attaining a
- Compare the service quality with other competitive hotels and
inspire the section heads to create appropriate
- Ensure corporate policy and internal department procedures are
- Motivate the department heads, section heads and associates in
providing personalized service to guests so as to gain an advantage
over other hotels in the same category.
- Control and analyze, on an on-going basis, in order to optimize
- Mystery shop reports
- Quantity requirements of Rooms FF&E
- Quality levels of product and service in Rooms, Food & Beverage
Department and the minor operating departments
- Guest satisfaction index review
- Merchandising and marketing within the operations to support
- Operating costs
- Conduct performance appraisals with the key Department heads
and manage their performance.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of respective Department
heads. Develop their full potential to achieve the Company's
- Co-ordinate with the Director of People to conduct such
functions as interviewing, hiring, colleague orientation,
performance appraisal, coaching, counseling to ensure appropriate
staffing and productivity.
- Co-ordinate with the Director of People in order to develop and
implement formal training plans for all the operational departments
as to improve or even examine all possible standards of operations
based on relevant surveys such as guest service surveys.
- Monitor the Director of Security to ensure a secure environment
for both guests and associates.
- To work closely with the Food & Beverage and the Director of
Engineering to ensure the appropriate maintenance programs are
carried out carefully.
- Ensure all Occupational Health & Safety measures are in place.
Review and monitor the well-being of the guests and
- Liaise with Building Management for open communication and
coordination of common services
- Greet VIP guests and regular guests to promote the hotel's
The above job description may be amended from time to time with
mutual agreement and you may be needed to perform any duties
assigned by the Management deemed necessary
- Inside with protection from weather but not necessarily
- Activities include talking, hearing, seeing, feeling, holding,
grasping and reaching. Walking and standing are required only
occasionally. Lifting 10 pounds, maximum and occasionally lifting
and carrying such articles as dockets ledgers and small
- Requires coordinating skills sufficient to determine the time
place and sequence of operations or actions.
- Requires handling of objects using body members, hand tools and
or special devices to work, move or carry objects or materials.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- High-level market awareness with entrepreneurial mind.
- Prompt and systematic decision-making skills with analytical
- Strong leadership skills in quality hotel operations.
- Independent & ability to work under pressure.
- Good delegation & interpersonal skills. Strong yield management
skills and ability to instill those in others.
Any combination of education, training and experience that provides
the required knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform
duties of the position.
- Previous experience as a Hotel Manager or Director of
Operations, Executive Committee level, in an upscale or luxury
- Strong Food & Beverage Management experience including
banquets, restaurants, bars and in room dining.
- University or post-graduate diploma or equivalent professional
hotel training is required.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES:
In the United States we are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We
maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance
Keywords: Montage Hotels, Chicago , Director of Operations, Executive , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!