Company: Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, a global Am Law 100 law
firm, is seeking an internal and external Communications
Manager.This position can be based in any of the following offices:
Chicago, Downtown Los Angeles, Washington DC, San Francisco,
Century City, Orange County, Del Mar, San Diego, Silicon Valley,
Dallas, or Houston. There is only one opening.*This position has a
remote/hybrid work arrangement, with the expectation to be in the
office on an as needed basis.The Communications Manager will manage
and execute public relations and internal communications
initiatives, including media relations and day-to-day
communications activities. The ideal candidate is a public
relations and communications professional who has a demonstrated
ability to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels of a
matrixed organization, effectively work with the press, external PR
agencies and vendors. This position will report to the Senior
Communications Manager.External and Internal Communications
- Manage and execute day-to-day communications.
- Partner with the Senior Communications Manager in the
development and execution of public relations programs and
initiatives as part of the firms and individual practice and
industry teams marketing and business development efforts.
- Proactively identify, secure, review and evaluate media
opportunities for our lawyers with regional and national business
and trade press outlets and develop talking points as
- Work closely and collaboratively with the firms entire Business
Development and Marketing team and external PR agencies support
firm practice group and industry team business goals.
- Partner with Senior Communications Manager and PR agencies on
the responses to press inquiries, and identify public relations
opportunities to garner news coverage.
- Collaborate closely across businesses and industries to ensure
messaging, reporter outreach, and signature issue positioning are
aligned and opportunities are maximized.
- Build and/or strengthen key reporter relationships, staying
current on relevant news outlets, reporters, and their areas of
- Review, proofread and write content for press releases, media
pitches, talking points, articles, the firm's website, internal
newsletters, ranking and award submissions.
- Assist in the preparation of spokespeople and leaders for media
interviews and speaking engagements by providing refresher media
training as appropriate and collaborating with the Senior
Communications Manager to conduct media training for spokespeople
- Develop and execute internal communications campaigns and
- Support internal communications through the firm's online
mechanisms. This can include drafting content for the firm website,
internal firm newsletter, and social media.
- Suggest content and social media campaign strategies to further
elevate the firm, lawyers and practice and industry teams.
- Monitor and report results of communications and public
- Other administrative duties and responsibilities as
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a communications role at a
law firm, public relations/communications firm, or other
professional services environment (e.g., private equity firm,
consulting firm) with an interest or career focus in media
relations and communications.
- Attention to detail and strong organization and planning
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and ability to work independently,
and as part of a team with the ability to build credibility and
develop internal and external relationships.
- Strong editing skills and familiarity with AP Style.
- Ability to learn quickly and to perform in a fast-paced
environment, meeting frequent, sometimes quick turnaround
- Flexibility to adapt to quickly changing priorities.
- Thorough understanding of confidentiality.Preferred
Qualifications: Familiarity with legal rankings and award
nominations is a plus (Chambers, Legal 500,
etc.).EducationRequired: Bachelors DegreeMajor (if applicable):
Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or
JournalismComputer/Software KnowledgeRequired: Strong computer
skills with proficiency in the Microsoft Suite.Preferred: Knowledge
of Cision (or equivalent press/media database), BusinessWire (or
equivalent newswire platform), Zoom is a plus.Work EnvironmentA
fun, fast-paced environment. Occasional evening and weekend work
may be required as job duties demand.Travel RequirementsMinimal
travel, less than 10%.LI-DNIWe will consider qualified applicants
with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all applicable
federal, state, and local laws, including the San Francisco Fair
Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for
Hiring Ordinance.Requisition ID: 2022-2909 Street: 321 N. Clark
Street Telecommute: Yes
Keywords: Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, Chicago , Communications Manager, Executive , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!