Project Manager/Lead - Supply Chain - Remote
Company: Harbor Freight Tools
Posted on: November 26, 2022
This is a Project Manager position responsible for leading
Supply Chain and DC Expansion Projects, supervising cross
functional team members and engaging with vendor partners. The
complex supply chain projects will include new or expanded
distribution facilities, related large-scale material handling
installations and supply chain systems implementations. Other
projects will include high-impact process improvement initiatives
involving interdisciplinary teams, and the routine operational
support that the project management team affords to Distribution,
Logistics, Import Logistics, Store Operations, Facilities, and Real
Reporting to the Program Manager or Director of Supply Chain
Project Management, you will be responsible for managing planning
and execution of Supply Chain capital improvement and other
projects. This will include responsibility for managing project
outcomes to achieve objectives on-time and within budget. The
Project Manager will need to be detail-oriented and an excellent
communicator with strong leadership skills. You will be responsible
for coordinating project planning, execution, deliverables, and
communication to stakeholders. The ability to stay within capital
budgets, meet timelines, and deliver high levels of quality/service
is essential. Relationships with key internal business partners and
related reporting needs are also a critical aspect of this role.
This includes resources in various groups such as Information
Technology, Purchasing, Inventory Management, Imports,
Transportation, Accounting, and Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities:Responsible for all aspects of project
management for Supply Chain assigned projects through the entire
lifecycle, including, but not limited to: chartering, scoping,
requirements gathering, document approval tracking and management,
project plan creation, status reporting, issue resolution, project
resource allocation, project costs and financial analysis, and
benefits validation. Including working with internal and external
partners to source goods and services, develop proposals, RFPs,
Agreements, and track expenses and payments.
- Leads team to develop project scope of work, design, budget and
- Creates cohesive project plans with identifiable critical path,
task dependencies, and major milestones, and manages the approved
plans and schedules, ensuring successful completion within scope,
budget, time, and quality parameters.
- Works with key cross-functional partners to develop and execute
a comprehensive transition plan to transition projects from project
team to long term business owners
- Sets deadlines, assigns responsibilities, monitors and
summarizes progress of projects.
- Prepares reports for upper management regarding project
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with team
members, vendors, and other departments involved in the
- Leads and directs the work of others.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and
- Supports team members in executing tasks as needed to meet
- Coordinate meetings, writes minutes, updates budgets, manage
presentations and RFP bids.
- Staff supervision and development - yes,
supervision/development of project team members
- Decision making -provide consultation & expert advise, provides
data for decision support,
- Travel - can range from 20% to 75% depending on project phase,
averaging up to 50% annually
- Location- Remote
- BS Degree in Supply Chain, Engineering, Business Management,
Operations, Information Technology, and coursework viewed
favorably. Advanced degree a plus.
- Ability to lead a team and can interact across all levels and
functions of the organization effectively, lead during a time of
significant growth, and an ability to establish credibility and
influence others through both formal and informal leadership.
- Proficient in MS office suites, MS Project and Visio.
- Competency in developing strategic plans, as well as directing
tactical execution; strong project management skills.
- Ability to function in an unstructured environment; thrives on
bringing order to chaos.
- A clear, coherent, and rational thinker adept at establishing
efficient, disciplined, and optimal processes and
- Energetic, proactive, self-motivated, and an independent
thinker who is willing to try new and creative ideas.
- Dedicated to the success of the company and willing to commit
to necessary hours, if and when appropriate, to reach goals, and
complete tasks on time - this is an opportunity to make a
significant impact on the growth of the company.
- Quantitative and analytical.
- Decisive - able to make decisions without fully developed
- Strong negotiating style and experience.
- Pragmatic problem solver - makes things simple and gets things
- Record of delivering concise, persuasive, and comprehensive
reporting, recommendations and risk/alternative assessments of
complex business situations to top management and peers.
- A thinker who strives to understand causality in data and its
context in terms of overall business objectives. Asks what the goal
is, what key segments of management and peers require, defines the
types of data and sources needed, formulates theories and sets out
to prove, disprove and refine these until an answer rooted in
process is crystalized.
- Focused on continuous improvement both personally and
professionally. Willing to give and receive constructive
- 1-3 years in project management, with skills necessary to
interpret what is needed for the success of a project and to create
appropriate schedules for timely delivery
- 2 to 5 years of distribution center continuous improvements,
engineering, Construction, MHE or systems implementation & complex
projects is preferred
- Ideal background includes national, multi-unit retailers with
multiple warehouse operations, such as department stores, mass
merchants, or other general merchandise retailers; hard line
experience is preferred.
- A history of success operating as a key strategic partner to an
energetic senior executive team.
- A history of developing and managing to key metrics and
- Experience working in a high growth environment, with
consistently shifting priorities; ability to create order out of
- Successful track record of leading companywide supply chain
management initiatives from the project management and engineering
Keywords: Harbor Freight Tools, Chicago , Project Manager/Lead - Supply Chain - Remote, Executive , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!