Museum Collections Manager
Company: Loyola University Chicago
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Chicago-Water Tower Campus
LOYOLA UNIV MUSEUM OF ART
ALL CAMPUS SUPPORT
Is this split and/or fully grant funded?
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee logistics and documentation for incoming donations and
acquisitions of artwork, outgoing loans and incoming exhibition
- Work with our internal classes/departments to support
student/faculty/staff exhibits as well as collaborate with a range
of internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish, support and sustain the museums educational and
- Establish, document, and maintain collections management
procedures pertaining to the storage, long-term preservation,
inventory, and use of collection materials to ensure museum best
- Work to support collections development through donor outreach,
artifact assessment, preparing/evaluating acquisition proposals,
marking/labeling, documenting, photographing, rehousing, and
- Coordinate and maintain collection storage, workspaces, and
- Manage the planning and execution of exhibitions, rotations,
collections-based programming, and short-term displays; coordinate
photography, conservation, and movement of the Museum collections;
provide exhibition design feedback to ensure compliance with
preservation requirements; help install and uninstall collections;
perform gallery checks and maintenance; facilitate collections
- Manage strategic, operational, and project planning and
- Procure and direct contracted services to advance priority
collections management goals and initiatives.
- Maintain and preserve all historic documents of the collections
to support and enhance the University's mission.
- Help plan and implement the Collections Record Keeping System;
perform quality control to ensure complete, correct, and consistent
- Ensure that all collections are stored and managed in a manner
that promotes the long-term preservation of collection materials
and facilitates their use.
- Provide collections management support and expertise in
planning and executing special exhibitions, and artifact rotations
to ensure their timely and successful completion and ongoing
- Conceptualize and manage exhibitions/special projects within
LUMA as well as collections traveling between campuses.
- Manage onsite events with LUMA, as well as create event
programming around the collections and traveling artwork/exhibits
between all Loyola campuses.
- Prepare and maintain documents and museum policies, emergency
operational plans, integrated pest management plan, security and
collection management plan.
- Maintain museum library, videos and other resource
- Experience creating and maintaining reliable physical and
digital records; some knowledge of digital photography and/or
experience with artifact photography
- Experience planning and executing collection preservation, and
developing protocols for pest management, disaster prevention and
response, and inventory control.
- Experience and expertise budgeting, scheduling, quality
control, procurement of resources and services, and ability to work
with others effectively to achieve objectives and meet deadlines;
demonstrated experience developing and implementing complex
workflows to achieve desired results.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience
Bachelor's degree in related field and three to five year's related
- Master's degree preferred in art, art history, museum studies,
or a related field.
- Professional gallery experience.
- Knowledge of the methods, techniques and procedures involved in
the interpretation and exhibition of art for diverse audiences.
- Strong written/oral communication and organizational skills and
public speaking abilities.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including mornings,
evenings, overnights, and weekends in order to prepare for
exhibitions, shows and openings.
Knowledge of database, scheduling and Microsoft Office
Required operation of university owned vehicles
Does this position require direct animal or patient contact?
Lifting, Carrying, Standing, Climbing, Crawling/Kneeling,
Special Instructions to Applicants
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Loyola requires all faculty, staff, and students to be COVID-19
vaccinated along with receiving the COVID-19 Booster vaccine when
eligible. Anexemption for a qualified medical or religious reason
may be submitted for review/approval.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Quick Link for Posting
Keywords: Loyola University Chicago, Chicago , Museum Collections Manager, Executive , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!