Youth Development & Ministries Director
Company: The Salvation Army USA Central Territory
Location: Harwood Heights
Posted on: November 20, 2023
THE SALVATION ARMY
NORTH & CENTRAL ILLINOIS DIVISION
POSITION TITLE: Youth Development & Ministries Director
LOCATION/DEPT: Norridge Citadel
REPORTS TO: Corps Officers
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
STATUS TYPE: RFT
Direct the overall youth ministry of the Norridge Citadel Corps for
all children (Infant through high school seniors). The position
will require collaborative efforts with YPSM(s), youth leaders,
parents, and staff. The ministry opportunities will focus on
Leadership Development, Administrative Duties, and Youth Pastoral
Care & Programming.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position includes membership on the Mission Council of the
Specific tasks will include:
- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
- Recruit, train, and manage leadership team for youth ministry
(infant through high school). With local officers, provide
leadership to all Corps youth programs, events, fundraising, and
discipleship with the overall purpose for youth to join together to
seek and glorify God, grow to be obedient followers of Christ,
proclaim the gospel, demonstrate God's love and discover their role
in the body of Christ.
- Work with and resource character building, youth musical group
leaders, and Christian Education leaders (Girl Guards, Adventure
Corps, Moonbeams, Cherubs, Youth Bands, Singing Company, Children's
Worship, Junior Solders, Corps Cadets etc.) to plan and lead their
programs and events.
- Work closely with all volunteer youth leaders to plan the
calendar for each year, being sure to include opportunities in each
of the ministry areas (in coordination with Mission
- Develop, schedule and chair Youth Nurture Team to meet 4 times
per year. Maintain close contact with all youth leaders and offer
assistance in facilitating as needed.
- Along with the senior leadership team, recruit and develop new
leaders as needed.
- Provide encouragement and training/mentoring resources for
youth leaders and meet with leaders individually as
- Be involved in conferences and other youth-related training
opportunities (as approved by the Corps Officer) for education and
growth. Encourage corps youth leaders to participate in
opportunities as they are available.
- ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
- Responsible for recording and processing information relative
to statistics, finances, communications, and evaluation for all
Corps youth programs. (Finances/Statistics will be processed
through the Corps Business Manager for inclusion on monthly
reports.) Evaluate programs and systems for administrative/ministry
- Evaluate all youth programming and visioning as it relates to
- Coordinate with staff and appropriate councils
(worship/spiritual life/business) to connect youth to the gospel
efforts of the vision and mission of the corps.
- Process information, forms, and payments for all youth camps.
Provide and/or coordinate transportation.
- Write letters/emails, make phone calls, and handle all
correspondence relating to Norridge Citadel youth work. Develop,
produce, and distribute a parent handbook, participation
guidelines, and emergency form and update as needed for
congregational and community programs. Hold parents' meetings at
least twice a year to review policies.
- Provide leadership and/or secure leadership, transportation,
etc., for divisional and territorial youth events.
- Work with corps officer to prepare and submit all youth reports
to divisional headquarters.
- Hire and supervise nursery workers, summer day camp staff, and
any future youth ministries paid positions.
- Oversee Day Camp program planning, staff training,
administrative tasks, and overall program supervision.
- Responsible for budget management for youth activities and
summer day camp.
- Secure Childcare and gym supervision staff for weekly activity
nights and special events as requested.
- Participate in Christmas effort, when it directly relates to
children and families. Organize youth volunteering for Christmas
and other fundraising opportunities throughout the year.
- YOUTH PASTORAL CARE & PROGAMMING
- Provide direct leadership to the discipleship of leaders and
youth for overall mission and vision effectiveness.
- Will use the Youth Developmental Assets to track outcomes and
develop program goals.
- Provide direct leadership to any youth programming as
- Ensure material used in any programming aligns with Salvation
Army doctrinal distinctives and beliefs that regularly reinforce
the gospel message.
- Continue to develop and direct creative evangelism &
discipleship programming for 6th through 12th grade.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Youth group,
prayer partners, Christian education, corps cadets, missions, and
- Help connect middle and high schoolers to local officership
opportunities and the development of their spiritual gifts and
offer regular pastoral care and accountability.
- Coordinate Sunday morning Youth Christian Education Ministries
including but not limited to: Sunday School opening, Children's
Messages, Children's Church, Junior Soldiers, and Nursery/Toddler
- Coordinate with corps officer to meet with and provide support
to parents as needed, with an effort to encourage and build up
family ministry opportunities.
- Work with Senior local officers to help teens transition to
young adult/adult ministries opportunities as they age out of youth
- Work with the Community Ministries Director and Corps Officers
on evangelistic outreach community events and follow up to reach
unchurched families in the community.
- Cultivate relationships with parents and invite families to
overall corps programming and worship.
All other duties as assigned.
This individual will be evaluated on how effectively the outcomes
of this position are achieved as well as the timeliness, accuracy,
and completeness of accomplishing assigned goals.
A 30, 60, and 90-day performance review will be conducted.
- Undergraduate degree in youth ministries, Christian education,
or related field preferred.
- 5 years of experience in Christian youth work considered in
lieu of related degree.
- This position requires a Valid Driver's license.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a
- Strong attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of
changing job situations/priorities.
- A commitment to uphold and promote the mission of The Salvation
Army and an appreciation of faith-based service organizations.
- This position has an essential role in fulfilling the full
mission of the Salvation Army. Because of the integral nature of
this responsibility, active soldiership in the Norridge Citadel
Salvation Army Corps is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating
in a manner that fosters and maintains positive relationships with
co-workers and supervisors. This would include but not be limited
to such actions: resolution of conflicts in a positive manner;
courteous treatment of staff, clients, and visitors; respect of
others' property and person, professional and appropriate
communication to and about co-workers, supervisors, and
subordinates. Support the Mission of The Salvation Army by treating
every donor, contact and colleague with respect and dignity, and
without discrimination of any kind.
THE SALVATION ARMY MISION STATEMENT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical
part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the
Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is
to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His
name without discrimination.
Keywords: The Salvation Army USA Central Territory, Chicago , Youth Development & Ministries Director, Executive , Harwood Heights, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!