Exercise Physiologist - Galvin Fitness Center, Full-time
Company: Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Posted on: November 23, 2021
About Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the
global leader in physical medicine and rehabilitation for adults
and children with the most severe, complex conditions. By joining
our team, you will be part of our life-changing Mission and Vision.
You'll work in a truly inclusive environment where diversity and
equity are championed through words and actions. You'll contribute
to an innovative culture that is second to none, one that embraces
curiosity, discovery and compassion. You'll play a role in
something that's never been done before as we integrate science and
clinical care to help patients achieve better, faster outcomes - as
we Advance Human Ability, together. General Summary The Exercise
Physiologist will assess and create exercise prescriptions for
participants with medical complexity and/or physical disability.
Works together with the Clinical team and Galvin Fitness Staff to
achieve goals and objectives. Proactively recommends strategies and
implements processes for fitness center programs. The Exercise
Physiologist will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley
Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by
striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and
showing respect and compassion for patients and their families,
fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or
in the interest of the institute. The Exercise Physiologist will
demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication,
Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving,
Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery,
Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job
duties. Principal Responsibilities The Exercise Physiologist
- Establish exercise programs through assessment and evaluation
to achieve participant prescriptive goals.
- Perform advanced exercise testing such as VO2max testing,
cardiac monitoring during exercise testing (EKG), Biodex system 3
strength testing, and body composition testing.
- Measure and document physiological outcome data.
- Analyze program outcomes for quality and fiscal soundness to
ensure that all aspects of the fitness programs are achieved.
- Instruct exercise prescriptive with community and employee
members inclusive of those with medical complexity and/or physical
disability diagnoses, including spinal cord injury, traumatic brain
injury, visual impairments, cerebral vascular accident, Parkinson's
disease, and arthritis.
- Help develop and promote regular programs to provide creative
and value-added classes and activities for members.
- Serve as liaison between the outpatient clinical team and staff
members of the Galvin Fitness Center.
- Maintain record-keeping of all health screenings, medical
clearance forms, and attendance sheets for all classes and
- Ensure that exercise equipment is safe, clean, and in proper
- Assists with providing gym floor supervision and assisting
members of the adaptive fitness center as needed.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best
interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. Reporting Relationships
- Reports directly to the Director, Adaptive Sports and Fitness
Programs, Therapeutic Recreation and Volunteer Services Job
Requirements: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Bachelor's degree in exercise science, exercise physiology, or
related field. Master's degree preferred.
- Current nationally-recognized health fitness certification
required from an organization such as ACSM, NASM, or NSCA. Clinical
- Current ACSM Inclusive Fitness Trainer certification within 6
- BLS and First Aid certification
- Previous experience conducting exercise tests such as VO2max
testing, body composition and cardiac monitoring.
- Knowledge of anatomy and kinesiology with applications to
developing personal exercise programs.
- Strong teaching and presentation skills.
- Experience in adaptive group exercise or special populations
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact on
a daily basis with internal/external customers.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to make sound
judgment to monitor and respond to client needs.
- Ability to anticipate, assess and address the needs of clients
to positively influence the client/customer experience (directly or
- Strong interest in research and evidence-based practice.
- Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or
extreme temperature. The above statements are intended to describe
the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and
skills required of personnel so classified. Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion,
national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any
other characteristic protected by law. To apply for this position,
please click "APPLY NOW" and you will be sent to our online
application.We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the
application.We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Keywords: Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, Chicago , Exercise Physiologist - Galvin Fitness Center, Full-time, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!