Triage Nurse RN - Telehealth
Company: Swedish Covenant Hospital
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Triage Nurse RNJOB SUMMARY
Performs a wide variety of patient care activities and accommodative services for health center patients being seen in the satellite facility. Supports physicians in the practice. Responsible for direct care of patients as delegated by Supervising Physician.
Management of patient health concerns and symptoms via a telephone interaction utilizing physician-approved protocols for the assessment and management of a range of symptoms.
Telephone interactions require assessment, patient education and may require crisis intervention.
Enter complete notes in EMR system as needed. As calls are handled professionally and sensitively the goals of inappropriately schedule appointments, a reduction in anxiety and education of patients will increase overall satisfaction and reduce risk when there are medical complications.
Demonstrates a commitment to the mission of Swedish Covenant Hospital and a patient service orientation that adheres to all responsibilities and standards established by the Hospital.
1. Communicates clearly, effectively, and confidently with patients, health center staff, and other personnel within the organization.
* Greets all patients and staff courteously and respectfully while maintaining a positive demeanor.
* Uses appropriate telephone etiquette in communications with patients, physicians, and health center callers
* Accurately communicates messages, lab values, and telephoned reports in a timely manner.
* Maintains the strictest patient and personal confidentiality.
* Instructs patients in preparation for home care procedures in accordance with physicians' instructions and patient education tools.
* Appropriately triages telephone calls, answers questions and advises patients according to policy and physician orders.
2. Demonstrates professionalism in appearance, attendance, and demeanor.
* Greats and treats all patients, co-workers, and physicians in a friendly, courteous, and respectful manner.
* Maintains a professional appearance, observes dress code policies and wears I.D. badge at all times.
* Reports to work as scheduled. Is ready to start work at the scheduled time.
3. Works with others to adjust staffing needs as required and to assist in the overall delivery of health care in
* Assists in appointment scheduling of off-site tests and procedures, consultations, surgeries and treatments.
* Assists in all aspects of medical record maintenance, accurately files all patient charts and reports in designated location in patient records.
* Prints/Copies charts/documents as required and reviews charts for medical record release.
* Provides cross-coverage staffing in health centers and at other affiliated health centers willingly.
4. Manages patient flow through the health center, promoting work efficiency to minimize patient wait times.
* Performs and documents a preliminary patient assessment including objective information, vital signs, weight, and subjective information relative to the visit.
* Assists with patient registration and insurance verification.
* Assists in directing patients to the exam room and ancillary testing areas.
* Assists with the patient discharge/check out procedures according to physician instructions and ensures appropriate documentation.
* Ensures patient supplies are available for the provision of health care.
5. Performs designated nursing and other patient care activities according to policy and procedures and standards of nursing practice.
* Performs all immunizations and assists with diagnostic and other in office procedures (i.e., colposcopy, LEEP, ESSURE, ablation, lab tests, venipuncture, specimen collection, etc).
* Review and complete Workload assigned in EMR
* Maintains file and follow-up system for questionable pap smears and other tests.
6. Performs designated triage nursing duties including determining the needs of patient and making an appropriate appointment based on problem anticipation, knowledge of the patient's medical issues and detection minor to significant changes in that disease process. Ability to answer questions over the phone, or put a note in the physician's EMR workload requesting the physician call the patient or answer a question.
* Speaks to patients and/or parents/guardians over the phone for medical triage needs.
* Works with physicians to develop written standing orders.
* Ability to determine urgent issues that require immediate attention i.e. decreased fetal movement, early labor signs, signs of pregnancy induced hypertension, and heavy bleeding.
* Helps identify potential training and education opportunities for Call Center Agents and other team members in the outpatient clinic setting.
* Performs other duties as requested by Front Desk/Call Room Site Supervisor or Practice Manager.
7. Participates in maintaining an environment that is conducive to patient care, comfort, and privacy, as well as, employee safety.
* Recognizes hazardous conditions and responds either by correcting the situation and/or requesting assistance when appropriate.
* Demonstrates safe and proper usage of all health center equipment and attends equipment usage in services when offered.
* Ensures all areas of the health center are clean and presentable and safe for patient care.
8. Observes policies and procedure, environment and infection control standards.
* Interprets policies, regulations, standard to other staff, patients and visitors to ensure compliance.
* Attends required annual in-services on Safety and Infection control.
* Observes OSHA regulations including principles of standard precautions.
* Cleans the exam/treatment rooms after each patient and/or procedure including equipment used in accordance with infection control guidelines.
9. Participates in career development activities for own professional growth.
* Participates in required meetings, appropriate in-services and educational opportunities.
* Attends a minimum of 2 in-services per year and/or participates in other educational programs available at the hospital.
10. Other duties as trained and assigned.
PATIENT CARE/AGE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Recognizes age-related needs in assessing and caring for patients.
QUALIFICATIONS/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
* Graduation from an approved school of nursing, BSN preferred.
* Current Illinois license as a Registered Nurse.
* Current CPR certification through American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
* Frequent contact with patients, families, multi disciplinary staff, insurance companies, and vendors.
* Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, insurance companies, and the public.
* May be in an upright position and moving about most of the working time
* May lift heavy objects
* Use of computer
* Potential for exposure to chemicals, airborne diseases, blood and bodily fluids
* Risk of injury by violent patient
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Triage Nurse RNJOB SUMMARY
Keywords: Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago , Triage Nurse RN - Telehealth, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
here to apply!