Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Reserve, Days (CW)
Company: Northwestern Medicine
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Description***This is a reserve / casual position located at a
client office site just Northwest of Midway Airport. Must be able
to work Saturday9am - 3pm.***The Client Office Phlebotomist
reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the
organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and
complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all
other regulatory and accreditation standards.Responsibilities:
- Performs phlebotomy and other lab specimen collections per age
- Provides appropriate post-phlebotomy patient care.
- Identifies need for patient medical assistance and call code as
- Reviews/Records refrigerator temperature(s) and QC/QA records.
Areas of concern are recorded through the Corrective Action Log and
reported to maintenance for repair. Findings are reported to
supervisor or manager.
- Use manual requisitions and labels specimens
- Label and process specimens according to establishes protocols
- Must effectively procure blood specimens from infant, adult,
geriatric, and wheelchair bound patients.
- Must demonstrate competency for age related
- Understands the operation and maintenance of equipment
pertinent to the job.
- Follows up with all outstanding orders on manifest log, and
communicates all timed, completed or uncompleted
draws/charges/results to the client office staff and performs other
duties as assigned.
- Requests/obtains written physician orders with all required
information necessary for lab services requested and accurately
orders laboratory tests in computer system(s).
- Prioritizes tasks and is able to multi-task.
- Performs and collects phlebotomy specimens within cost and
maintains efforts of a less than 2 percent recollection or
- Follows TJC National Patient Safety goals in regard to two
patient identifiers and handwashing.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients
- Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies
appropriate person or recourse to do so.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions
and styles and acknowledges the assistance and contributions of
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and
assignments on time.
- Participates in efforts to reduce costs, streamline work
processes and improve and grow services we provide.
- Communicates and notifies Laboratory and/or Physician of
problems with specimen procurement to ensure optimal care.
- Provides follow up on test results to appropriate individuals
in a professional and courteous manner.
- Continuously updated on information by reading emails and
demonstrates compliance in MediaLab.
- Maintains a safe work environment, holds self-accountable for
safe work practices, performs all aspects of daily work in a manner
that contributes and ensures an environment of patient safety.
- Adheres to all recommendations and requirements of the Lab and
Hospital Safety Committee.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in a manner that optimizes
patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical
- Performs clerical work; faxing, printing, filing, reviewing,
and verbally releasing laboratory results.
- Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting and
can complete tasks independently without immediate
- Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent
- Interacts with all team members in a professional manner and
aids/assists coworkers to complete assigned
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Phlebotomy certification or training from a phlebotomy
school/institution or equivalent experience.Preferred:
- New grads to one year of experience performing phlebotomy on a
broad range of patients types.
- Experience with processing lab specimens, transferring
specimens, and handling a centrifuge.
- Familiar with medical EMR systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Phlebotomy certification through nationally recognized
organization (ASCP).Equal OpportunityNorthwestern Medicine is an
affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex,
race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran
status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected
Keywords: Northwestern Medicine, Chicago , Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Reserve, Days (CW), Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...