Certified School Nurse (CSN) - School RN
Company: Chicago Public Schools
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Certified School Nurse (CSN)Purpose or Summary Statement of
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Position
The Certified School Nurse (CSN) coordinates the school health
program including the delivery of services to students and serves
as the health resource to staff members in order to enhance health
and wellness in the school community. The school nurse duties are
to be performed in accordance with standards of professional school
nurse practice, state board of education policies and procedures
and the State of Illinois Nurse Practice Act.
1. The CSN provides and/or delegates to licensed personnel direct
professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency
care to students.
2. The CSN identifies health problems, makes referrals for
diagnosis and treatment, develops educational modifications,
provides follow-up and evaluation, and maintains appropriate
3. The CSN provides counseling and follow-up services to students
with disabilities as delineated in the IEP/504.
4. The CSN follows up on homebound students needing related health
5. The CSN provides intervention in times of school crisis, i.e.
death, suicide, traumatic events.
6. The CSN initiates, encourages, and participates in health
education programs for children.
7. The CSN assists special education children to accept or adjust
to physical, emotional or health limitations.
8. The CSN provides health counseling to parents of special
education students, and provides individual and group health
counseling to special education students.
9. The CSN develops the medication protocol to safely store,
administer, document, and monitor the effectiveness of the
medication given at school.
10. The CSN coordinates activities of local schools concerned with
communicable disease regulations.
11. The CSN assists with the State and Federal mandated screenings
and provides follow-up for deficits in vision, hearing, growth and
development, and other physical impairments.
12. The CSN collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to
determine if health adversely affects the student's educational
process and is also responsible for the development of the all IEP
goals, benchmarks, and accommodations for students requiring health
Qualifications for Job:
All qualified applicants should possess a Bachelors of Science in
Nursing from an accredited college, or university. Additionally,
all qualified applicants should possess a valid Professional
Educator License endorsed as a School Nurse through the Illinois
State Board of Education. A valid Illinois nursing license and
current certification in CPR is a must.
Skills and Abilities:
This potential applicant is expected to develop and administer
comprehensive school health program. Applicants should also possess
strong oral, written communication and computer skills.
Experience and Education Required:
The Chicago Public Schools is seeking all qualified individuals
with excellent critical thinking skills. Previous pediatric
experience is recommended, but not required. The applicant should
have experience working with students with culturally diverse
backgrounds. A bachelor's of science in nursing is required with a
valid Type 73 certificate endorsed in school nursing.
Keywords: Chicago Public Schools, Chicago , Certified School Nurse (CSN) - School RN, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!