Advanced Practice Nurse- ICU - ICU - Intensive Care Unit
Company: The University of Chicago Medical Center
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Advanced Practice Nurse- ICUJob Description
Advanced Practice Nurse- ICU, Full-time, Days, University of
Chicago Medicine, Hyde Park, Illinois
We're hiring an Advanced Practice Nurse- ICU, department of
Anesthesia and Critical Care, for a full-time shift at the
University of Chicago Medicine Hyde Park, IL!
The Advance Practice Nurse is responsible for comprehensive direct
patient care management. The APN manages a caseload of patients and
exercises autonomous decision making in the assessment, diagnosis
and initiation of delegated medical treatments. The scope of
practice includes family support, discharge planning, staff
education, consultation and research
Responsibilities and Clinical Practice
* Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from
all sources: history, diagnostic tests, comprehensive physical
examination, and psycho-social assessments.
* Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body
* Assesses patient and family adaptation, coping skills and the
need for crisis or other intervention.
* Accurately interprets diagnostic tests.
* Analyzes multiple sources of data in making clinical judgments
and in determining the effectiveness of a plan of care.
* Develops problem lists with associated differential
* Identifies educational needs of the patient and family and
assists with teaching.
* Incorporates assessment findings into a plan to direct patient
* Formulates a plan of care in collaboration with the patient,
family, physician, nursing staff and other member of the health
care team which incorporates health care maintenance, discharge and
* Appropriately prioritizes patient care.
* Plans and implements appropriate pharmacological therapies.
* Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and
therapeutic techniques according to established protocols and
standardized procedures for nurse practitioners.
* Serves as a role model and expert consultant for high risk
* Initiates referrals based on patient and family need.
* Seeks appropriate consultation dependent upon patient health care
* Accurately presents and documents the database, impression and
plan of care.
* Identifies and promotes cost effective, quality patient care.
* Promotes, has knowledge of and utilizes appropriate patient care
protocol relating to the physical, psychosocial and developmental
needs of adult, and geriatric patients.
* Establishes and maintains a collaborative relationship with
health care colleagues.
* Demonstrates effective use of verbal, non-verbal and written
communication skills using strategies that promote problem
* Maintains formal and informal systems for information sharing,
planning and problem solving with unit staff, other APN's, medical
staff and other nursing and hospital personnel.
* Identifies mechanisms to determine the future direction of the
nurse practitioner role.
* Identifies and clarifies the nurse practitioner role to adult
critical care patients, family members, and other members of the
health care team.
* Participates in self and peer evaluation to improve quality of
care.* Participates in the development, review, and evaluation of
nurse practitioner standardized procedures.* Identifies ethical
dilemmas involved in the evaluation and management of adult
critical care patients.
* Participates in research projects in the practice area.
* Identifies potential areas for nursing research.
* Integrates research findings into specialty practice and
* Keeps knowledge base current by reading professional literature
and attending educational programs.
* Attains and maintains membership and active participation in a
professional organization concerned with improving the quality of
care for of adult critical care patients.
* Performs other duties assigned.
* Ability to conduct physical examinations and health assessments
* Ability to interview and obtain medical information required.
* Willingness to enter into written collaborative agreement with a
collaborating physician upon hire required.
* Once licensed and as needed, willingness to apply for a mid-level
practitioner controlled substance license and DEA number
* Willingness to be privileged and credentialed through UCMC Nurse
Recruitment Office prior to start date required.
* Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
* Strong organizational skills required.
* Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and strong
analytical skill required.
* Demonstrated clinical competency, effective leadership and
teaching skills required.
* Two years of clinical experience in a related area of specialty
* Critical care experience preferred
* Advanced degree (or equivalent, if license received prior to July
1, 2001) from an accredited school/college of nursing required.
* Ability to obtain Illinois advanced practice nurse (APN) license
by start date required
* Current license as a Registered Nurse required.
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a
condition of employment. If you have already received the
vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment
process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu
Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions
will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a
pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are
also required for all employees prior to hire.
Why Join Us
For nearly a century Ingalls Memorial has pioneered sophisticated
clinical care and developed the area's most convenient network of
comprehensive outpatient centers, all dedicated to improving the
health and wellbeing of the community. Now, partnered with UChicago
Medicine, we have expanded our network of expert physicians,
convenient facilities and scope of service to speed your healing
process and help navigate your path to wellness. A skilled Medical
Staff and talented employees dedicated to prevention, diagnosis,
treatment and rehabilitation of illness and injury provide a firm
foundation for our reputation for quality. To accomplish this, we
need employees with passion, talent and commitment--- with patients
and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance
medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and
move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add
enriching human life to your profile, UChicago Medicine Ingalls
Memorial is for you. Here at Ingalls, we're doing work that really
matters. Join us!
UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial is growing; discover how you can
be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: Ingalls Career
UChicago Medicine Ingalls is an equal opportunity employer. We
evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual ori
Keywords: The University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago , Advanced Practice Nurse- ICU - ICU - Intensive Care Unit, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!