Certified Medical Assistant, Pain Management Department, Full time - CMA
Company: Shirley Ryan Ability Lab
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Certified Medical Assistant, Pain Management Department, Full
timeBy joining our team, you'll be part of our life-changing
Mission and Vision. You'll work in a truly inclusive environment
where diversity and equity are championed through words and
actions. You'll contribute to an innovative culture that is second
to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion.
You'll play a role in something that's never been done before as we
integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve
better, faster outcomes - as we Advance Human Ability,
Job Description Summary
The Medical Assistant will assist physicians in their offices or
other medical settings. In accordance with respective state laws,
the Medical Assistant performs a broad range of administrative and
clinical duties. Provides direct patient care under the guidance of
The Medical Assistant will consistently demonstrate support of the
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core
Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts
and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families,
fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or
in the interest of the institute.
The Medical Assistant will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core
Attributes: Communication, Accountability,
Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer
Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery,
Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job
The Medical Assistant will:
* Support clinical operations through the management of patient
flow within the unit and/or physician practice.
* Greet patients, visitors and staff with a high of customer
service, respect, and professionalism.
Perform clinical duties, including:
* Patient vitals and weights
* Patient interviews for medical histories, including recording
allergies, medications, and chief complaints.
* Clinical documentation in accordance with regulatory standards,
policies and procedures
* Venipuncture according to guidelines, protocols, and standard
* Specimen collection
* Wound care, skin checks, dressing changes
* Bowel and Bladder care, including straight catheter placements,
hemoccult, and rectal checks.
* Basic EKG
* Respiratory testing as ordered by the physician, such as pulse
oximetry, nebulizer treatments, and pulmonary function.
* Patient and room prep for visits or procedures, including
lifting, transfers, and set up of equipment and
* Glucose testing as needed
* Exam assistance as determined by the supervising physician or
* Perform administrative duties including the check-in or receiving
of patients, scheduling and registration, basic secretarial skills
and medical transcription, handling telephone calls and writing
correspondence, check-out of patients
* Serve as a liaison between the physician and other
* Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best
interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
* Reports directly to the Director. Physician Practice or Clinical
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
* Certificate or diploma from a Medical Assistant program.
* Completion of an internship that provides practical experience in
qualified physicians' offices, accredited hospitals, or other
health care facilities.
* Current CPR certification, required.
* Minimum one year of professional experience performing
venipuncture, wound care, assistive procedures as outlined above,
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and patient privacy standards
at all times and in the completion of all duties.
* Intermediate computer skills and experience working within an
electronic medical record, strongly preferred.
* Problem solving and decision making skills, with ability to
confront and resolve issues in a timely manner.
* Ability to handle and prioritize many tasks under potentially
* Strong interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively
with patients, patient families, employees, physicians, referring
parties, and other RIC system-wide staff.
* Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ShirleyRyan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability,
protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
Keywords: Shirley Ryan Ability Lab, Chicago , Certified Medical Assistant, Pain Management Department, Full time - CMA, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!