Director, National Laboratories Strategy Compliance
Company: College of Charleston
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Location: Chicago, IL Job Description:
- Prepares value-add financial analysis, financial modeling,
cost-control processes, and 3rd party consulting, services, and
compliance agreements in support of key strategic projects.
- Effectively and timely communicates financial outcomes and
recommendations for key decision making to senior management in a
concise, clear, and timely manner.
- Provides sound advice to the AVP of Finance and other senior
executives in support of strategic initiatives to maximize
financial performance and compliance with agreements.
- Implements processes that identify financial and operational
risk in new agreements, provides recommendations to minimize
exposure, and management of compliance.
- Develops novel and state-of-the-art processes to ensure fiscal
management of large budgets in support of compliance of complex
consulting and partner agreements.
- Provides controllership services to a variety of stakeholders,
such as National Laboratory finance teams, external partners,
external senior advisors, etc.
- Leads the development and analysis of monthly, quarterly, and
annual financial planning cycles including budget, forecast, and
year-end reports in compliance with US GAAPs.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of relevant
monthly financial statements, activity reports, financial position
forecasts, etc. as required by regulatory agencies (DOE, Office of
the Inspector General, and UoC).
- Implements, improves, and oversees unit-wide operational
efficiency, strengthens internal controls, and participates in the
enhancement of reports and utilization of ERP systems.
- In partnership with other colleagues, oversees unit-wide
compliance and adherence to procurement policies, fund and grant
management, and overall financial stewardship.
- Provides financial and operational consulting services to the
senior leadership team on key strategic initiatives to help the
units stay focused on achieving their strategic goals.
- Develops strong partnerships with a broad range of key internal
stakeholders including the Budget Office, Financial Services, DOE
contracting offices, National Laboratories Finance and Procurement
teams, Office of Legal Counsel, and a variety of external
- Develops and leads the implementation of change management
initiatives (such as shared services outsourcing) and
- Advises budgets for all areas within scope of responsibility.
Directs quarterly and year-end reporting for the operating budget
and projects under responsibility.
- Works independently and serves as the primary financial
strategy and modeling owner. Acts as a trusted advisor and
recommends improvements regarding financial strategy and
- Collaborates to create long-term financial model to reflect the
strategic priorities. Provides expertise to help ensure the
integrity of financial analysis and planning.
- Performs other related work as needed. Preferred Qualifications
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance, business administration or
- MSc/MA/MBA. Experience:
- 10+ years of progressive experience leading the end-to-end
development of budgets, strategic business plans, year-end
reporting and analysis, internal and external audit, forecasts, and
monthly results analysis in higher education, government, or
- Experience in higher education/governmental entities, such as
finance, grant administration, or financial planning and analysis
is a plus.
- Diverse and combined experience with Fortune 500, private
equity, government, Big 4 or large consulting firm.
- Proven record of increased responsibility in audit, risk
mitigation and compliance, financial planning and analysis,
accounting, grant administration, controllership, change and
project management, process improvement, operations transformation,
and internal controls optimization roles highly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated supervisory, team building, and
- Prior experience with legal entity compliance, GAAP and
practical implementation of governmental policies, pronouncements,
- Proven track record of superior financial and strategic
analysis and operational savviness. Certifications:
- CPA or other relevant certification. Technical Skills or
- In-depth knowledge of finance and accounting principles,
commercial and governmental laws, and best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Power BI coupled with
previous experience using financial/accounting systems. Preferred
- Influential leader with robust critical thinking, strategic
mindset, and ability to take abstract concepts into solutions.
- Outstanding leader who can effectively develop talent and
influence teams to consistently deliver outstanding results to
- Initiate and cultivate key relationships with senior external
stakeholders in the government, industry, and other higher
- Excellent communicator with superior writing and presentation
- Prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments.
- Anticipate industry, market, academic and regional change to
develop an action plan that will support unit-----s success and
deliver business demands.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment and exhibit the
highest personal and professional standards of integrity.
- Consistently display initiative, motivation, discipline, and
ability to work effectively and autonomously.
- Relentlessly pursue financial excellence and optimization.
- Plan, prioritize and oversee multiple projects, and meet
deadlines for deliverables.
- Proactive and follow-through, with attention to detail.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required) The University of Chicago is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin,
age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran
status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the
law. For additional information please see the University's Notice
of Nondiscrimination. Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable
accommodation to complete the application process should call
773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report
(Report) provides information about University offices and programs
that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency
response and communications plans, and other policies and
information. The Report can be accessed online at:
securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are
available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police
Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Keywords: College of Charleston, Chicago , Director, National Laboratories Strategy Compliance, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!