Emergency Dept Assistant - Feinberg ED, Full-time, Days - EMT / ER Technician
Company: Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Emergency Dept Assistant - Feinberg ED, Full-time, DaysAt
Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference
in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is
what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an
integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our
quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the
Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride
ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition
reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle
benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest
* Annual Employee Incentive Bonus
* $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($5,000 part-time)
* $5,250 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($3,000 part-time)
* $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
* $250 Wellbeing Fund per year
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a
difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first
approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare
industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the
opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter
where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At
Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive
benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k)
matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees.
Ready to join our quest for better?
36 hours per week (three 12 hour shifts)
Every other weekend required
The Emergency Department Assistant reflects the mission, vision,
and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and
Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant
policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and
The Emergency Department Assistant (EDA) functions in an assistive
role to the Registered Professional Nurse, in provision of direct
and indirect patient care activities in the Emergency Department.
The EDA functions as a member of the ED multidisciplinary team
under the direct supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse
and ED Physician.
* Follows established policies, procedures and standards of care in
all areas of practice.
* Facilitates the coordination patient flow, assists health care
team, and independently performs duties.
* Plans, organizes, and prioritizes daily activities and multiple
* Demonstrates familiarity with ED specific protocols and
* Gives and receives shift report.
Direct Patient Care Activities:
* Provides wound care--Cleanses and irrigates wounds using aseptic
technique; Applies simple and complex dressings appropriate to type
of wound, including application of ointments (Neosporin, Silvadene)
and impregnated dressings (Xeroform, Duoderm); Applies Steri-strips
as directed; Performs suture removal.
* Assists with splinting and orthopedic devices: Assists with
positioning/immobilization of patients to enable casting; Applies
splinting/orthopedic devices (soft cervical collar, metal and
plastic splints, wrist brace, sling, aircast, elastic bandage, knee
and shoulder immobilizers, cast shoe, posterior mold, plaster
cast); Instructs assistive devices and ensures patient competency
in crutch walking, cane usage.
* Performs ECGs: Performs Stat, chest pain, ECGs within 10 minutes;
Accurately enters patient data for procedure; Ensures order entry
into Powerchart; Retrieves previous ECGs for comparison; Presents
ECGs to ED Attending for review and documents activity; Transmits
data every two hours.
* Performs phlebotomy in addition to specimen collection (urine,
* Labels and processes specimens according to established protocols
* Performs bedside waived testing procedures and maintains annual
* Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge process.
* Prepares patient and room for MD or RN assessment, evaluation,
diagnostic and therapeutic procedures (work may require lifting and
positioning of patients.
* Obtains vital signs and routinely reassess vital signs.
* Applies cardiac monitor/pulse oximetry.
* Prepares oxygen, suction equipment, and other respiratory
* Collects and records intake and output.
* Administers and assists with direct patient care and patient
* Makes rounds of patients and anticipates their needs.
* Answers patient's call lights promptly.
* Applies comfort and safety measures.
* Transports and/or retrieves patients, specimens, equipment and/or
supply as needed, including to front door on discharge.
* Documents on medical record all patient care provided, including
* Removes fixed rings using ring cutter and ensures identity and
possession of patient belongings.
* Performs CPR.
* Performs morgue care.
Indirect Patient Care Activities:
* Completes all necessary duties to ensure a clean, safe,
attractive work environment
* Cleans, organizes, and prepares patient rooms; notifies
appropriate personnel for mopping, garbage disposal
* Maintains stock of patient care items according to standards,
orders accordingly in Powerchart
* Cleans and prepares for processing of equipment requiring
sterilization; Returns sterilized equipment to proper location and
stores excess equipment
* Performs daily departmental room checks and bedside waived
testing quality measures
* Assists with order entry and telephone response
* Utilizes and updates online patient and bed tracking systems.
* CPR certification from American Heart Association
* High School diploma or equivalent
* Previous patient care experience with demonstrated effective
communication and interpersonal skills.
* Phlebotomy and ECG skills
* Strong customer service orientation and ability to work in a fast
* College degree or interest in health care field
* EMT-B certification
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the
basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender
identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any
other protected status.
Keywords: Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago , Emergency Dept Assistant - Feinberg ED, Full-time, Days - EMT / ER Technician, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!