Physical Therapist II: Outpatient Orthopedics/Pelvic Floor - Physical Therapist
Company: Swedish Covenant Hospital
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Physical Therapist II: Outpatient Orthopedics/Pelvic FloorJob
Provide professional physical therapy evaluation, treatment and
follow up services to physician referred patients. Responsible for
assessment of patients and performing procedures consistent with or
based on the age and developmental status of the patient to
maximize the clinical outcome and safety of the patient. In
coordination with department management, actively participates in
quality improvement/patient satisfaction/ program development
activities that result in a measurable quality/patient
satisfaction/ financial improvement for the program.
* Exceptional Customer Service (Focus on Empathy, Communication and
* Demonstrate a genuine sense of caring about the well-being and
feelings of others
* Follow-through on commitments to customers, those you make and
those stated in NorthShore policies
* Demonstrate sensitivity to those who are sick, scared, vulnerable
and/or under time pressure
* Maintain a professional and calm demeanor under stressful
situations; treat customers with respect
* Listen patiently and without interruptions, to fully understand
and acknowledge the thoughts of others
* Understand customer expectations and your responsibility in
responding to them
* Use service recovery behaviors: offer appropriate apologies,
explanations and resolutions
* Address customers by their formal name (Mr., Ms., Mrs.) or
requested preferred name and pronoun at least once during an
* Make eye contact with customers to demonstrate courtesy and
attentiveness, while being sensitive to cultural differences
* Maintain confidentiality in verbal, written and electronic
* Supportive Workplace Interactions (Focus on Teamwork and Positive
* Work cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the "team," such
as helping, supporting and appreciating colleagues
* Demonstrate a positive attitude in all workplace interactions
* Work effectively with others while respecting differences of
opinion and style
* Accept and provide positive and constructive feedback as an
opportunity to learn and improve
* Apply information about people, situations and processes before
* Follow established processes, protocols and workflows
* Respond positively and willingly to customer requests for
* Keep your work environment clean and presentable
* Professional Work Ethic (Focus on Integrity, Initiative and
* Reflect a sense of personal and ethical accountability for the
work you do
* Demonstrate understanding that you represent NorthShore to each
* Communicate in an honest and ethical manner to gain the trust and
support of others at all level
* Take initiative to resolve problems and meet customer
* Be flexible and embrace change with "can do" attitude
* Demonstrate reliability in attendance and punctuality
* Demonstrate reliability to complete duties in a professional,
timely and accurate manner
* Be results-oriented; establish priorities to work on what is
* Responsibility/ Duties
* Corporate Responsibility
* Knowledge of federal, state and local laws that apply to job and
area of responsibility.
* Knowledge and application of NUHS policies, procedures and
service standards that apply to job and area of responsibility
* Ongoing growth and development from participation in events such
as workshops, in-service programs, special clinics, departmental
meetings and community events.
* Assists with patient care at other locations when appropriate and
as directed by department procedure.
* Patient/Resident Care
* Provides quality Physical therapy services to patients including
assessment, treatment intervention and discharge planning based on
the age, psychological, educational and developmental status of the
patient. Service provision may include direct, group, monitored and
* Assists in the care and maintenance of equipment, supplies and
treatment areas. Provides feedback regarding equipment needs.
* Must be able to deal effectively with patient emergencies. Seeks
supervisory assistance as necessary. Completes incident reports as
* Must be flexible and able to adjust to fluctuating patient census
and scheduling conflicts.
* Functions according to the APTA Code of Ethics and Standards of
Practice of the profession.
* Completes all appropriate competencies for level of position
* Maintains and adjusts schedule to meet caseload needs and all
staffing levels to achieve expected level of productivity.
* Appropriate assignment of patients to assistants
* Consistently provides competent, appropriate and timely
* Administrative and Supervisory Duties
* Assists in the selection, orientation, and training of staff,
students and supportive personnel.
* Acts as a resources to all clinical staff in his/her area of
specialty, which may be through direct hands on, monitored,
observed or consultative approach.
* Independently manages complex patients and assist staff in
handling these patients and adapting treatment program
* Participates as assigned in continuous performance improvement
* Provides care and maintenance of equipment, supplies, and
treatment areas. Determines appropriate equipment.
* Participates in 1 or more special programs------
* Assists in development of competencies related to the special
* Assists managers/Program Coordinator with reviewing/revising
policies/procedures with area of specialty.
* Must be prepared to deal effectively with patient emergencies and
inter- and intra-departmental conflict resolution.
* Assists/mentors less experience staff in patient care.
* Communicates with program manager as needed.
* Prepares and maintains accurate patient records including
evaluations, progress notes, discharge summaries and billing as
required by Medicare, third party payers, and JCAHO/HFAP. Assures
co-signature on notes and evaluations if waiting on licensure exam
* Issues written home exercise programs.
* Participates in peer review process of chart audits.
* Reports on patient/resident progress at staffing and other
* Attends patient care/resident staffing, family conferences, and
hospital rounds as appropriate.
* Confers with supervisory therapists, other staff therapists,
physicians and other related personnel regarding progress of
patient/resident as needed.
* Communicates and collaborates with physician and other health
professionals and family or caregivers to facilitate optimal
* Taking Initiative
* Achieves 95% of goals
* Consistently offers ideas and works with little direction.
* Performs tasks outside of routine responsibilities to accomplish
* Educational Activities/Student Supervisory
* Participates in and provides in-service education to therapy
staff, other health professionals, and the community.
* Teaches appropriate physical therapy evaluation and treatment
procedures to various hospital and community groups, students in
allied professions and supportive personnel.
* Must keep abreast of advances and changes in physical therapy
services through attendance at professional meetings and continuing
* Attends and participates in departmental and PM&R
meetings/in-services as appropriate.
* Timely completion of interim and final student evaluation.
* Participates in the clinical supervision of Physical Therapy
students, volunteers and high school students. Directly supervises
1-2 students per year.
* Provides appropriate student feedback in professional, timely
manner, especially if there are problems.
* Confers routinely with SCCE on status of student's clinical.
* Knowledge & Experience Required
* Minimum Formal Education Required: Graduate from a school of
Physical Therapy with a Bachelor of Science or Masters Degree from
an accredited college or university approved by the APTA and the
Council on Medical Education of the AMA.
* License, Certification, Registration Required: Must be licensed
or eligible for licensure as a Physical Therapist in the State of
IL; CPR certification.
* Minimum Length & Nature of Experience Required: Must have at
least 2 years of clinical experience.
* Special Knowledge and Skills Required (may need addendum): Must
have successfully supervised one full-time physical therapy
student. Demonstrates well rounded clinical background and
identifies an area of interest.
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions
* Physical Activities 1) Amount of activity per day: sitting 10%,
standing 50%, walking 40%. 2) The employee will frequently: a.
transfer patients in/out of chair, stairs/ramps; b. transfer
patients from bed-to-cart or table to cart; c. climb stairs/ramps;
d. work in kneeling/crouched position; e. reach above shoulder
level; f. work with arms above shoulder height; g. work with arms
extended at shoulder height; h. work with hands at waist level; i.
reach or stretch from waist. Frequently: a. assist patients with
ambulation, b. push/pull objects greater than 30lbs., c. work with
body bent over at waist.
* Lifting: 1) Employee will occasionally: a) lift items weighing
16-30lbs. Frequently: a) lift items greater than 30lbs, b) lift
items less than 15 pounds. 2) Co-workers are occasionally available
to assist with lifting.
* Push/Pull: 1) The employee will occasionally push/pull patients
on wheelchairs and carts weighing between 50 and 350lbs. Carts are
equipped with wheels. 2) No equipment or machines to assist with
pushing/pulling. Co-workers are occasionally available to
* Hand Coordination Activities: Gross manipulation, fine
manipulation, simple grasping, power grip, and hand twisting are
all required using both hands.
* Working conditions: The employee is not exposed to any unusual
* Visual Conditions: The employee is not exposed to any unusual
working conditions. Employee frequently: a) reads typed or
handwritten pages, b) read one cm high lettering/numbers from a
distance of 10-feet, c) uses peripheral vision, d) distinguishes
* Hearing Functions: 1) Employee continually has contact with
patients. 2) Frequently uses the telephone. 3) Occasionally
distinguishes between tones (i.e. timers, equipment, alarms and
* Orthotics, Biodex, computers, pulse oximetry, general modalities
and aerobic exercise equipment. Telephone, computer, photocopy
machine, fax machine, printer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work performed by employees assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be as an exhaustive list
of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so
Keywords: Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago , Physical Therapist II: Outpatient Orthopedics/Pelvic Floor - Physical Therapist, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!