Physical Therapist - Wheelchair and Seating Department - Full Time - Physical Therapist
Company: Shirley Ryan Ability Lab
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Physical Therapist - Wheelchair and Seating Department - Full
TimeBy joining our team, you'll be part of our life-changing
Mission and Vision. You'll work in a truly inclusive environment
where diversity and equity are championed through words and
actions. You'll contribute to an innovative culture that is second
to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion.
You'll play a role in something that's never been done before as we
integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve
better, faster outcomes - as we Advance Human Ability,
Job Description Summary
The Physical Therapist will assist patients in reaching maximum
physical performance while adjusting to disabilities. Treats
disabled patients using standard physical therapy therapeutic
interventions such as heat, cold, electricity, traction, ultrasound
and exercise. Evaluates patient motor and neurological capabilities
and adapts physical therapy program as appropriate.
The Physical Therapist will consistently demonstrate support of the
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core
Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts
and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families,
fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or
in the interest of the institute.
The Physical Therapist will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability,
Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer
Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery,
Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job
The Physical Therapist:
* Evaluates patient's physical and functional status including
muscular strength, motor functions, reflexes, ambulation skills and
ability to perform activities of daily living.
* Observes and interviews patient, reviews medical history, and
administers sensory tests, muscle tests, range-of-motion exams, and
other evaluation techniques.
* Determines suitability for treatment based on patient evaluation
results, including such physical therapy treatment modalities as
whirlpool, ultrasounds, massage, biofeedback, paraffin and
prosthetics/orthotics and/or monitors or administers the
application of treatment.
* Evaluates patient's current pain levels (0-10) and history of
recent pain experience; provides appropriate pain education and
intervention in consultation with physician and pain specialists as
needed; provides ongoing assessment of pain and implementation of
tools for management.
* Establishes therapy goals, and formulates a treatment plan
including exercise, modalities, balance activities, and gait
* Discusses evaluation, goals, and treatment with patient and
family and instructs them on the exercise program and in use of
* Participates in patient discharge planning including developing
an in-home program when appropriate.
* Documents patient evaluation and progress, maintaining records
for physicians and insurance carriers.
* Determines and orders appropriate devices necessary to assist
patients in performing physical activities such as wheelchairs,
canes, crutches and prosthetic and orthopedic devices.
* May participate in the Department education program by teaching
and supervising students.
* Participates in research projects as needed.
* Performs all other duties that may be assigned in the best
interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
* Reports directly to assigned Clinical Manager, Therapy
Manager-Innovation Center, Therapy Manager-AbilityLab.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
* Knowledge of anatomy and physiology and physical therapy
treatments and modalities at a level normally acquired through
completion of Doctoral degree from an accredited school of physical
* Licensed to practice in the State of Illinois.
* Current CPR certification required.
* Understanding of the growth and development of infant, child,
adolescent and geriatric patients.
* Ability to interpret growth and development related information
to assure patient needs are met.
* Interpersonal skills to interact with physicians, patients and
families in providing therapy and exchanging patient progress
* Analytical ability to determine priorities, provide input
regarding the development of departmental policies, procedures and
budgets, and assess new programs and recommend changes.
* Ability to lift 20 to 50 pounds occasionally, and/or 10 to 25
pounds frequently to transfer and position patients.
* Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or
* Some exposure to infectious diseases when working with
* May include exposure to community, home, work, school and
off-site clinic settings.
* Includes Saturday and Sunday rotation work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ShirleyRyan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability,
protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
Keywords: Shirley Ryan Ability Lab, Chicago , Physical Therapist - Wheelchair and Seating Department - Full Time - Physical Therapist, Healthcare , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!