Surgical Center PACU/Recovery RN
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: October 12, 2018
Title Surgical Center PACU/Recovery RN Employment Type Full Time City Des Plaines State IL Position Summary Position Summary
Provides nursing care to the surgical patient. Involves assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of surgical patient in the immediate post-anesthetic period. Provides PACU/Recovery nursing care to patients in the facility by performing the following
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The PACU Registered Nurse is responsible for maintaining clinical, communication and personal knowledge and skills required to meet the challenge of delivering safe and effective patient care in the PACU.
- Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding, and allay apprehension.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques.
- Prepares equipment and aids Physician during treatment and examination of patient.
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient.
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies supervisor or Physician of patient's condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
- Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Documents nursing history and physical assessment for assigned patients.
- Initiates a patient education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient, as prescribed by Physician and/or facility policy including patient and family instruction.
- Prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment, and supplies for surgery.
- Responsible for all logs and documentation in regards to medication control.
- The Registered Nurse is responsible for utilization of the nursing process in all aspects of the delivery of patient care and completion of all activities according to established policy, procedure and protocol.
a. Communicates accurate and timely information regarding patients and their care and/or their significant others.
b. Records pertinent information clearly, accurately, and in a timely manner.
c. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships with patients, significant others, and co-workers.
d. Utilizes appropriate lines of communication.
e. Assess the health status of the patient by collecting data via:
i. Patient interview.
ii. Performance of a physical assessment for all age groups according to the plan of care.
iii. Recognizes variances in the assessment which are normal/abnormal for the age group.
iv. Review of records.
v. Consultation with other members of the perioperative team.
f. Organizes a plan of care that incorporates physician prescribed treatments, nursing assessments and diagnostic data in a manner that:
i. Is prioritized.
ii. Is timely.
iii. Is integrated with the surgical plan of care.
iv. Gathering supplies, x-rays and instruments/equipment for cases.
g. As an Admission/discharge nurse:
i. Completes admission on patient admission as evidenced by ongoing chart review.
ii. Completes all necessary lab work and IV's in timely and efficient manner.
iii. Prepares the patient for discharge in the following ways, as evidenced by ongoing chart review:
- Evaluates the patient's progress for achievement of outcomes/discharge criteria
- Provides discharge instruction to the patient/SO
- Validates ability of the patient/SO to manage continuing care needs after discharge, through post-op phone calls.
- Provides education according to the specific knowledge/skill level of the patient/SO to meet the patient's ongoing health needs including:
a. Safe and effective use of medication including food-drug interaction, as evidenced by chart review.
b. Safe and effective use of medical equipment, if applicable.
c. When and how to obtain further treatment.
d. Implementation of teaching protocols for patient education.
h. As a PACU nurse:
i. Implements orders for post-anesthesia care of patients.
ii. Implements standing orders for critical care emergencies.
iii. Demonstrates knowledge of critical care medications and administers them properly according to policy.
iv. Changes the patients plan of care to meet outcomes
v. Documents patient care:
- In a legible manner.
- According to form guidelines.
- According to protocol.
- Content reflects patient condition.
vi. Performs additional duties as assigned.
i. Restocks area with applicable supplies.
j. Performs appropriate cleaning functions for the unit.
k. Participates in conferences, committee meetings, and educational programs as necessary.
l. Obtains appropriate patient health history.
m. Participates in appropriate patient safety related practices.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Educational Requirements
- Required: Associates degree (AA) from 2-year college or university; graduate from and approved school of professional nursing.
- Two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of nursing experience required with increasing responsibility demonstrated in PACU/Recovery.
Licenses and Certifications
- Current RN license from the applicable State of and current CPR certification, ACLS preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have the following general knowledge:
- Understanding and commitment to the mission, values, and philosophy of organization.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse.
- Awareness of changing trends in nursing practice and ability to adapt.
- Knowledge and skills to provide patient care appropriate to specific location and patient population.
- Ability to function effectively in stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written methods.
- Ability and willingness to adjust schedule (trade or work extra) to meet the needs of center.
- BCLS certification within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to work under supervision as well as ability to oversee others.
- Must be able to meet physical demands of standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Evidence of continued education in clinical nursing and universal precautions.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, etc.
- Superior interpersonal skills
Keywords: UroPartners, Chicago , Surgical Center PACU/Recovery RN, Healthcare , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!