Pastry Cook II - PM Shift
Company: Food for Thought
Posted on: January 14, 2018
Job DescriptionPastry Cook II Catering Corporate - This position is held in Lincolnwood, ILMain Area of Responsibility: BOH – Pastry/CateringPosition Vision:The position of Pastry Cook II requires hands-on preparation of all pastry items for catering events. It is imperative to understand that while technical skills are necessary in any position, a positive attitude and respect of ourselves and our team is paramount. Without creating a supportive cultural experience through trust and teaching from within, our company does not shine through to our ultimate goal. That goal is to simply make ‘everyone’s life a little better’ by creating exceptional experiences and serving food we love. We embrace this goal because when we make people feel good, we feel good. To that end, we take advantage of every opportunity to make someone feel good. A formal training outline will be set forth to target & mentor position specific skills and traits of a customer service position within Food for Thought.Position Expectations:JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Prepares all pastry items in accordance to standard FFT recipes and as specified by the Chef.
- Visually inspects, selects and uses only food items of the highest quality in the preparation of all menu items.
- Checks and controls the proper storage of product and portion control
- Completes all opening and closing tasks
- Completes prep lists in allotted time frame
- Completes order guides for station
- Performs daily quality assurance testing
- Ensures all equipment in working areas is clean and in proper working condition.
- Assists in set up and cleaning of spaces managed by Food for Thought
- Is flexible to work all shifts including special eventsSPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, & ABILITYThe individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Good working knowledge of the fundamentals of pastry.
- Good working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation.
- Knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment, i.e., stoves, ovens, broilers, slicers, steamers, kettles, etc.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts and portion sizes.
- Ability to read, write and understand the English language in order to communicate with guests and coworkers.
- Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise, move or push goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 150 lbs.
- Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND CERTIFICATION
- Pastry Diploma or equivalent required
- Experience in a kitchen production position required
- Food Service Handler Certificate requiredPosition Summary:The Pastry Cook II position will be required to prep for, and assist in all aspects of pastry production, as well as the main kitchen when necessary. Pastry Cook II must mirror and enforce the policies and procedures set forth by the Executive Pastry Chef while keeping in line the standards of production and the HAACP program. The Pastry Cook II will also contribute to achieving established standards of stock levels, workplace cleanliness, and equipment maintenance on a daily basis.The Pastry Cook II must have an accelerated knowledge of pastry fundamentals, methods and techniques, including but not limited to: chocolate work; ice creams and sorbets; pastes and doughs; modern pastry techniques; to follow and execute recipes; basic understanding of food costs and cost controls. The Pastry Cook II will also have knowledge of ordering and receiving goods and quality assurance, monthly stock taking duties and assist the pastry chef with menu design and implementation. The Pastry Cook II will be required to have achieved a basic level of leadership and management skills and displays an ability to train others.The Pastry Cook II will report directly to the Executive Pastry Chef.
SUPPORTIVE FUNCTIONSIn addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to:
- Perform general cleaning tasks using approved cleaning product as assigned by your supervisor to adhere to health standards.
- Examine products for quality
- Takes on special projects
- Keeps floors dry and clean to avoid slip/fall accidents.
- Performs other duties as requested, such as cross-training, moving supplies and equipment, cleaning up spills, etc.
- Reports suspicious persons or activities to a supervisor immediately.
- Other duties as assigned
Equal Opportunity Employer:Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Food For Thought are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statuses. Company DescriptionFood For Thought is widely recognized among the areas elite off premise catering and food service management companies. For more than 30 years, our commitment to excellent service, innovative cuisine and contemporary presentation has won the admiration of both our clients and peers. Our recipe for success is simple; we consistently provide delicious food and gracious hospitality.
Keywords: Food for Thought, Chicago, Pastry Cook II - PM Shift, Hospitality & Tourism, Lincolnwood, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!