Posted on: September 21, 2023
We are a global leader in food & beverage ingredients. Pioneers
at heart, we operate at the forefront of consumer trends to provide
food & beverage manufacturers with products and ingredients that
will delight their consumers. Making a positive impact on people
and planet is all part of the delight. With a deep-rooted presence
in the countries where our ingredients are grown, we are closer to
farmers, enabling better quality, and a more reliable, traceable
and transparent supply. Supplying products and ingredients at scale
is just the start. We add value through our unique, complementary
portfolio of natural, delicious and nutritious products. With our
fresh thinking, we help our customers unleash the sensory and
functional attributes of cocoa, coffee, dairy, nuts and spices so
they can create naturally good food & beverage products that meet
consumer expectations. And whoever we're with, whatever we're
doing, we always make it real. Position Summary Reporting to the
Senior Vice President of Legal, General Counsel for the Americas
Region, the In-House Counsel will serve as a pro-active, strategic
business partner to advise the business and ensure the company
follows all required Federal, State, and local laws and
regulations. They will work actively as a partner to the
organization to further the business goals of ofi. The In-House
Counsel will work with business units across North America and
globally. The ideal candidate for this position should have a
strong understanding and working knowledge of Federal, State and
Local laws and regulations pertaining to the importation,
processing, and production of food or other regulated products.
They should come with a strong academic and professional background
with exemplary ethical standards and integrity. Ability to work in
a matrixed organization and a fast-paced environment with multiple
competing demands and business customers is required. They should
be a self-starter, able to work well in an individual and team
environment. This position will require an individual who is able
to consistently exercise sound judgement related to allocation of
risk while also having the ability to suggest
legal/business-focused alternatives. Position Responsibilities
- Draft, review and negotiate, alongside business personnel,
under swift time constraints, a variety of contracts with vendors,
customers and other third parties. Examples include Supply
Agreements, MSAs, Consulting Agreements, Software License
Agreements, Purchase Orders, Lease Agreements, etc.
- Advise the business and operations teams with a clear
understanding of the meaning and implication of legal documents to
the business, especially on food related regulatory rules and
- Handle, prepare and review documents related to corporate law
matters, real estate transactions, environmental/health/safety
matters, litigation, and data privacy among other business legal
- Mentor other department members.
- Work on cross-functional projects within the legal
- Support business leadership, as well as other members of the
Region Legal group, by researching and analyzing complex legal
issues and providing advice that ensures compliance with rules and
- Assist in the development of policies and practices based on
federal, state, and local legal requirements.
- Stay current on legal and regulatory issues affecting the
company and the industry.
- Collaborate on various legal, business, and administrative
- Assist with the managing of outside legal counsels and
- Perform other duties as assigned. Position Requirements
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree is required.
- 5 years previous work experience with contracts in a law firm
or corporate legal department.
- Experience working within a top tier private law firm is
- Experience with the agriculture or food industry is
- Must be fully licensed and in good standing to practice law in
Illinois and/or California and/or capable of obtaining in-house
certification to practice.
- Keen attention to detail is a must.
- Self-starter, highly organized, and able to deliver clear,
business-oriented legal advice in a simple form in a fast-paced
atmosphere is required.
- Team player who can collaborate with an internal team, while
delivering with minimal supervision and administrative support is
- Proven track record of excellent judgment, analytical ability,
critical thinking, and risk management skills are required
- Must be eager to learn new areas of the law and also be
strongly committed to learning the company's businesses.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are
required. Will be required to work with all levels within the
organization, including those in domestic and foreign teams.
- High degree of professional ethics, morals and integrity are
required. Note: This job description is not intended to be
all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as
negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. ofi
provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to
hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color,
religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran
status, or sexual orientation. All employment will be decided on
the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need
assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact
us for support at: US-Talent.Acquisition@ofi.com At ofi, we
celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal
Keywords: ofi, Chicago , In House-Counsel, Legal , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!