Pharmacy Technician III (HC)-Feinberg 9th Pharmacy, Full-time, Rotating
Company: Northwestern Medicine
Posted on: June 12, 2021
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a
difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first
approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare
industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the
opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter
where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At
Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive
benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k)
matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees.
Ready to join our quest for better?
The Pharmacy Technician III - Hazardous Compoundingreflects the
mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's
Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with
all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other
regulatory and accreditation standards.
Under the direction of a registered pharmacist, the Pharmacy
Technician III - Hazardous Compounding performs all technical
duties associated with the daily operation of the dispensing areas;
performs prescription related, unit dose related, and sterile
product related functions; performs manufacturing procedures that
have been documented in the Department records. This role is
primarily responsible for the more advanced and complex work
performed by pharmacy technicians and performs all Pharmacy
Technician III duties as needed.
- Prepares medication orders for inpatients and outpatients.
- Prepares prescriptions for outpatients.
- Picks up orders and delivers medications to nursing units.
- Schedules intravenous admixture solutions according to the
patient's medical record. Reports any variance from the record to a
- Answers the telephone according to hospital policy. Screens the
call to determine if the call should be handled by a pharmacist or
- Enters new drug orders and renewal/refill information into the
computerized patient medication profile.
- Uses the computer system to assist in all dispensing and
- Compares the patient medication bin with the pharmacy and
nursing record. Returns unnecessary and/or outdated medication to
the pharmacy. Reconciles use records and reports any discrepancies
to a pharmacist.
- Receives, prepares, and distributes floor stock requisitions
and requisitions for other clinical locations.
- Compounds dosage forms needed for dispensing to patients.
- Assists in maintaining adequate inventory levels in the
- Packages extemporaneous and STAT single doses of medications
under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- Prepares and maintains the emergency medication systems.
- Prepares sterile products for administration to patients.
Selects proper diluents and vehicles and determines the appropriate
- Prepares cytotoxic agents for administration employing hospital
and department aseptic and protective procedures.
- Plans and performs the daily tasks required to provide
department services under the direction of a pharmacist.
- Prepares and delivers narcotics and narcotic admixtures.
Conducts narcotic perpetual inventories as directed.
- Meets quality and quantity requirements for new orders, unit
doses, and IV admixtures.
- Ensures compliance with hazardous waste collection and disposal
- Spends greater than or equal to 50% of the time manipulating,
and/or compounding hazardous medications.
- Responsible for chemotherapy and other high risk compounding,
including desensitization compounds.
- Completes hazardous medication training and competencies.
Quality Management Responsibilities
- This position assists in maintaining emergency carts,
inventory, and controlled substances records. Accurate completion
of responsibilities is essential to an efficient, error free drug
- High School Diploma
- Illinois Pharmacy Technician License (IDFPR) within first 60
days of hire
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) through PTCB or ExCPT
- Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation (CSPT) Technician
through PTCB within 1 year of hire
- Completion of a Technician Training Program
- Previous experience as a Pharmacy Technician
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the
basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender
identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any
other protected status.
Keywords: Northwestern Medicine, Chicago , Pharmacy Technician III (HC)-Feinberg 9th Pharmacy, Full-time, Rotating, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!