Associate - Industrial Practice
Company: Spencer Stuart
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Spencer Stuart is seeking to recruit an Associate for the
This Associate will have the opportunity to help solve CEO, COO
and other C-suite mandates while working in partnership with
various Partners in the Industrial Practice.
Successful candidates for the Associate position will have
strong project management ability, writing skills, results
orientation, rigorous attention to details, intellectual curiosity
and ideally, understanding a passion for agriculture and
commodities. The Associate will enjoy the challenge of working
internally with a variety of Consultants, and externally with
diverse, senior-level executives and board members. Associates will
be expected to acquire deep and insightful candidate pool knowledge
Director of Associates
Consultants (on an assignment basis)
Other Key Relationships:
Associates, Senior Associates and Consultants
Client Development Team (CDT)
- Contribute actively to the start-up phase of each search by
participating in client kick-off meetings with the Consultant and
assisting in the development of the position specification, search
strategy and target list of companies.
- Gather relevant information regarding the appropriate
industries and target companies. Identify potential prospects and
sources and represent the client effectively in the marketplace,
discussing the opportunity with relevant executives.
- Validate potential candidates through reference and source
- Partner with the Consultant to develop and present a slate of
qualified candidates to each client. Anticipate what needs to drive
the search to closure and be prepared to supply additional
information, such as related industry/segment trends, market
findings, reaction to the opportunity, compensation data, etc.,
gained during the course of a search.
- Contribute to the preparation of position specifications,
candidate presentations and reference reports adhering to the
Firm's assessment methodology.
- Communicate effectively with the Consultant and Executive
Assistant, and remain fully abreast of search developments, in
order to communicate accurately and credibly regarding the
- Prepare organized information for the client progress
reports/meetings by teaming with the Consultant and the Executive
Assistant. Provide an informed perspective on prospects/candidates
and how they match against the key selection criteria.
- Be aware of activities and management changes in the relevant
industry's sector; keep team members apprised of relevant
developments in the marketplace.
- Add to the firm's candidate pool expertise by continually
identifying and introducing new talent to the firm. Ensure that up
to date assignment, company and candidate information during the
course of an assignment is always available for colleagues, by
leveraging technology and information from the firm's
state-of-the-art, proprietary database.
- Contribute to responses to inquiries for new business, as well
as business development initiatives.
- Be willing and proactive about contributing to local, practice
or firm-wide initiatives. Coordinate and share practice related
information with colleagues for potentially broader
- Progressive business experience in executive search, strategy
consulting, or a relevant professional services environment with a
significant amount of time spent in research '
- Advancement of skills and knowledge evidenced through promotion
- Sector knowledge in industrial sectors ideal
- Superior project management skills demonstrated through
experience working in a high-performance environment where multiple
projects and competing demands are the norm
- Excellent communication skills shown through clear, structured
and concise written and verbal presentation
- Undergraduate degree required, postgraduate degree a plus
Critical Capabilities for Success
Plans, manages and drives own efforts to identify and develop a
slate of quality candidates as measured by consultant, client and
candidate feedback. The successful Associate will do this while
handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with
individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging
- Takes an end-to-end view of each project and the required
resources; works at pace and with attention to detail while
managing competing deadlines and priorities; has a sense of
- Understands the search process (from internal kick-off to
referencing); asks questions to understand; and is proactive.
- Works on multiple projects; meets deadlines and is resilient
under pressure; delivers on commitments on time or notifies as
early as possible if deadlines will slip.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, tenacity and intellectual curiosity;
action-oriented; deals with problems immediately.
- Is results focused and flexible; demonstrates a strong work
Develops qualified and interested candidates for portfolio of
searches. A successful Associate will develop excellence in search
strategy to build strong contact management lists:
- Observes and asks questions to fully understand the issue;
synthesizes information from a variety of internal/external
sources, despite possibly having ambiguous or incomplete
- Gathers relevant data from a variety of sources, including
views gathered through Third Party Sourcing (TPS), to help
determine broad capabilities, gaps, qualifications/fit; articulates
reasons for fit to spec in a succinct manner.
- Determines priority of which potential candidates to
- Adds meaningful notes on Quest, diligently uses the initial
Credibility and Influence
Communicates effectively both in writing and verbally; has
"gravitas" (executive presence) and is able to build relationships.
Able to hook candidates and convince consultants to meet them,
building a strong internal brand:
- Interacts with a range of internal and external stakeholders
and candidates with differing styles and egos, understanding and
appreciating what is important to each.
- Becomes a credible and authentic professional by observing
colleagues and emulating role models.
- Adapts verbal and written communications according to
expectations for role and audience, specifically how to be
confident, succinct, concise, prepared and professional.
Market and Candidate Knowledge
Obtains and incorporates knowledge to enhance client work in a
meaningful way. Knows how to get information, effectively uses the
available firm resources, developing and sharing candidate pool
- Identifies executive movements in the market and updates Quest
(ideally in real time) and colleagues; asks questions and shows
interest in networking.
- Has a genuine interest in/curiosity about people and
businesses; and has an understanding of businesses and their
- Understands how to identify and navigate the various relevant
sources available (Quest, Passport, Global Information Services,
Hoovers, LinkedIn, etc.).
Developing Self and Others
Develops self and others; seeks and provides feedback, modifies
own performance or behavior based on feedback. A successful
Associate is constantly growing, learning and enhancing his/her
skills and capabilities:
- Seeks and is open to feedback from colleagues, placing value on
self development efforts; seeks opportunities for growth.
- Is self-aware and open to changing one's own behavior.
Champions the Firm's values, culture and Code of Conduct;
engages, participates and collaborates with others. A successful
Associate, who people like working with and who may over time also
have a leadership role:
- Accepts others' opinions and encourages teamwork.
- Brings cultural awareness and sensitivity to each interaction
- Participates actively and contributes to internal activities;
engages with office and practice.
- Represents Spencer Stuart well by speaking positively about the
Firm and aligning behavior to Firm values.
- Conducts themselves in a way that is consistent with the Firm's
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Keywords: Spencer Stuart, Chicago , Associate - Industrial Practice, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!