Patient Care Technician - Brain Innovation Center (23rd Floor), Full-time, PMs (46081)
Company: Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The Patient Care Technician provides basic daily care to
patients and support of significant others. Performs various
service duties and routine technical tasks such as assisting
patients with basic hygiene and daily living activities. Maintains
patient care areas in a clean and orderly condition. Provides
nursing care, which is appropriate for the age and development of
The Patient Care Technician consistently demonstrates support of
the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Mission and Philosophy by
striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and
showing respect and compassion for patients and their families,
fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or
in the interest of the institute.
The Patient Care Technician demonstrates Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability,
Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer
Service and Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Values (Hope, Compassion,
Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while
fulfilling job duties.
The Patient Care Technician:
- Performs various activities in the treatment and care of
patients, including routine hygiene care., ingestion of food and
fluids, elimination of body wastes, mobilization, and
- Performs and records routine technical tasks as authorized,
such as collecting routine specimens, taking vital signs,
collecting and recording intake and output and blood glucose,
giving suppositories, performing intermittent catheterization,
measuring bladder volume, hanging gastric feedings, and escorting
- Collects and reports pertinent physiological, psychological,
and functional data based on patient plan of care or patient
- Orients the patient and family to the environment, therapeutic
activities, and potential safety hazards and prevention strategies
as identified by the registered nurse.
- Incorporates factors related to safety into delivery of patient
care as directed by the registered nurse.
- Implements interventions consistent with the plan of care as
directed by a registered nurse.
- Observes patients and reports reactions or changes in patient
condition to registered nurse.
- Assists in transferring patients and patient care equipment to
other specified areas.
- Documents functional care, procedures, and other quantitative
values in nursing database.
- Assists in monitoring supply needs to ensure adequate inventory
- Performs all other duties that may be assigned in the best
interest of Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- CNA Certification or current enrollment in an accredited
nursing program required.
- Work requires successful completion of the Patient Care
- Demonstrates competency in applying the principles of the
growth and development of infant, child, adolescent, young adult,
middle-aged adult and geriatric patients.
- Communicates effectively using timely verbal, non-verbal and
- Proactively takes ownership for serving the customer,
- team, and organization for achieving goals and for resolving
- Willingly adapts to changing work demands and work
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and makes sound judgments
to monitor and respond to patient needs or changes in
- Anticipates assesses and addresses the needs of patients,
internal and external customers to positively influence the
patient/customer experience (directly or indirectly).
- Ability to transfer and position patients, consistent with
lifting up to 35 lbs.
- Reports directly to the Nurse Manager or designee.
- Reports indirectly to registered nurse involved with care of
- Normal patient care environment with little or no exposure to
dust or extreme temperature.
- Exposure to moderately adverse working conditions in performing
certain patient care activities.
- Occasional exposure to infectious diseases when working with
About Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the global leader in physical
medicine and rehabilitation for adults and children with the most
severe, complex conditions. By joining our team, you will be part
of our life-changing Mission and Vision. You'll work in a truly
inclusive environment where diversity and equity are championed
through words and actions. You'll contribute to an innovative
culture that is second to none, one that embraces curiosity,
discovery and compassion. You'll play a role in something that's
never been done before as we integrate science and clinical care to
help patients achieve better, faster outcomes - as we Advance Human
The above statements are intended to describee the general
nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national
origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago , Patient Care Technician - Brain Innovation Center (23rd Floor), Full-time, PMs (46081), Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!