FULL TIME BUS OPERATOR
Company: Chicago Transit Authority
Posted on: May 16, 2022
POSITION SUMMARY - Operates a bus over an established route
adhering to predetermined schedule in a safe, efficient and
courteous manner to allow passengers to board, travel and alight at
scheduled stops. - PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drives bus and announces stops along routes.
- Announces cross streets and intersecting transit stops.
- Inspects passes; ascertains appropriate fares.
- Ensures that customers deposit only appropriate coins and bills
- Issues and receives transfer cards (collects invalid transfer
cards) and receives and returns fare-cards.
- Contacts Control Center regarding all problems.
- Operates lift to board and discharge disabled passengers.
- Inspects vehicle for lost articles.
- Prepares daily trip sheets and bus for service.
- Removes refuse and prepares bus for pull-out.
- Tallies various categories of boarding passengers by manually
operating a recording device.
- Enters tally numbers from recording device at beginning and end
- Performs other duties as assigned. - Job
- Required to submit to and pass drug and alcohol testing as
mandated by the Federal Transportation Administration.
- Required to be at least 21 years of age.
- Required to have an acceptable driving record and a valid State
of Illinois Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or a valid
State of Illinois CDL permit with the following three endorsements:
KNOWLEDGE, PASSENGER and AIR BRAKES. - PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Required to be standing changing destination and bus numbers,
signs, helping people board bus, to walk to relief points, checking
bus and sitting while driving bus.
- Required to lift, to carry and to push of brake pedal and
accelerator, windows and to pull door control latch.
- Required to climb into vehicle and adjustment of mirrors, to
balance, to stoop to adjust driver's seat, to kneel, to crouch and
- Required to reach accepting and validating transfer cards and
fare cards, adjusting mirror, to handle transfer and fare cards;
steering wheel, to finger operating fare box, horn, punching
transfers, to feel distributing and receiving transfer and fare
cards, to talk announcing streets and answering passenger
inquiries, to hear listening to traffic sounds, signal requesting
stops, emergency vehicles, passenger questions and radio
- Required to see near and far watching stopped vehicles,
checking passes/cards and general traffic conditions viewing of
traffic signals and riding passes.
- Must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS,
- Possess customer service experience or skills to provide
outstanding customer service to passengers.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the rules,
regulations and procedures relative to the operation of surface
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of pertinent state and
municipal traffic laws.
- Must possess the skills necessary to accurately read and
interpret bus schedules.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the fare structure,
transfer regulations and the rules and procedures governing Bus
- Required to possess a knowledge of arithmetic.
- Required to speak in a clear and accurate manner.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the preparation and usage
of applicable transportation forms. WORKING CONDITIONS
- Required to work most of the time with activities performed
inside of bus.
- Required to work under extreme cold when the temperature
control is malfunctioning or under extreme heat when does not work
in winters, air conditioning, wet and/or humid conditions when not
working in summers, driving in rain/fog and noise and vibration for
traffic noises, passengers street conditions, normal bus
- Required to work with various mechanical malfunctions of
vehicle breakdowns, electrical, burns, explosives, chemicals,
heights and other exposed to possibility of injury related to
- Required to work under atmospheric conditions like fumes,
exposure to diesel fumes, exhaust, toxic fumes in garage prior to
pull out, odors like acid battery, dust like blowing dirt/dust
through open windows, mist, gases and other. - Please note,
employees and/or union members will be given priority consideration
in the hiring process, per the applicable labor contracts.Rate to
be determined by applicant's entered service date and service date
in union jurisdiction of this classification.CTA IS AN EQUAL
OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERNo employee or applicant for employment will be
discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex,
marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age,
unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status
protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona
fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to
providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting
the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations
for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for
employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would
result. If you require an accommodation in the application or
hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the
submission of your application or upon notification of your actual
test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation
can be provided.TO BE CONSIDERED APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN
THEIR ENTIRETY INCLUDING:
- UPLOADED RESUME / WORK HISTORY
- JOB ASSESSMENT QUESTIONSINFORMATION PROVIDED MUST BE ACCURATE
Keywords: Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago , FULL TIME BUS OPERATOR, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!