Company: Sims Metal
Location: West Chicago
Posted on: September 25, 2022
The Operations Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day
operations of one or more of the following recycling or ITAD areas:
material handling, shredding, asset management, shipping and
receiving, and transportation.
* Support and comply with all Safety, Health, Environment,
Community, and Sustainability (SHECS) policies, procedures, and
initiatives, including SimsMMway Program, to ensure a safe work
environment. This includes conducting Job Cycle Checks and Safety
Conversations, developing and maintaining Standard Operating
Procedures and Safe Work Procedures, and submitting HazReps.
* Work closely with SHECS's personnel on workers' compensation
injuries/claims and associated follow-up/documentation and
* Provide leadership and ensure compliance with all Company
policies, procedures, and initiatives.
* Identify and assist with continuous improvement and cost control
* Support Lean Six Sigma program initiatives.
* Maintain positive employee relations, help encourage a team
atmosphere, and ensure all associates and contingent workers are
treated fairly and equitably.
* Supervise and maintain a well-trained workforce of SRS associates
and contingent workers in assigned departments; identify and train
successors for key employees.
* Communicate and attain established production goals while
maintaining the highest standards of quality.
* Create, maintain, and/or distribute required reports.
* Ensure availability of required tools, equipment, and
* Complete required physical inventories according to established
* Ensure that contractors, freight companies, and service providers
comply with Company policies and procedures.
* Ensure effective use of Company systems to ensure accuracy of the
* Report any accidents, incidents, safety issues, errors, or other
problems immediately to appropriate management personnel.
* Track performance data to ensure that customer contract
requirements are being achieved in accordance with the Statement of
Work; report to Client Operations and/or Sales any performance
variations and corrective action plan within 24 hours of
* Ensure that direct reports' timecards and related supporting
documentation are completed in a timely manner.
* Conduct and/or attend regularly scheduled Operations
* Participate in relevant training as required.
* Where applicable, ensure that inbound/outbound freight is
* Where applicable, operate mobile plant equipment and train as
* Other duties as assigned.
* Demonstrate personal responsibility for all Environmental, Health
& Safety (EH&S) policies, procedures, and initiatives.
* Support diversity and inclusion, positive employee relations, and
* Support measures designed to effectively manage costs and
adherence to budgetary requirements.
* Support continuous improvement initiatives and quality
* Comply with all Company policies, procedures, and initiatives
relevant to the job.
* Support training and performance management initiatives.
* Internal - Plant management; General Manager; Maintenance, SHECS,
Human Resources, Client Operations, Sales, Engineering, and IT
personnel; associates and contingent workers
* External - Clients, equipment manufacturers, consultants,
auditors, vendors, contractors
Experience / Qualification Required
* High school qualifications or equivalent combination of education
* Associate's degree in Business, Economics, Industrial
Engineering, Manufacturing, or related field; advanced diploma;
Level 4 award, certificate, or diploma; or an equivalent
combination of education and experience, preferred
* 4 years of experience in an industrial environment
* 2 years of supervisory experience, preferred
* Experience with Lean and/or Six Sigma preferred
* Experience in the recycling industry preferred
Skills and Competencies
* Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
and the ability to work effectively with a broad range of
individuals at multiple levels
* Ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work in a
* Proficiency with MS Office Suite
* Bilingual in Spanish, preferred
Working Conditions / Physical Demands
* Most of the work is performed in a non-climate-controlled
warehouse environment with potential exposure to dust, extreme
temperatures, humidity, and high noise level
* Some of the work is performed in a typical office environment
* Must be comfortable with working at heights, in confined spaces,
and in a dusty environment with proper protection
* Typical use of office equipment including computers, telephones,
* Long periods of sitting, standing, walking, and telephone
speaking and listening
* Must be able to wear personal protective equipment such as a hard
hat, safety shoes, safety glasses, earplugs, fitted dust mask,
etc., as required
* Work schedule may be adjusted as business needs dictate
* Must be able to travel to other U.S. SRS sites as needed
* Must be able to take on new assignments as needed regardless of
* Must be able to work under deadlines and related stresses in a
* Must be able to handle personnel issues and other situations as
they arise in a professional manner
Physical Demands - USA Specific
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the company
provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with
disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees
to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Keywords: Sims Metal, Chicago , Operations Supervisor, Other , West Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!