Posted on: November 26, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Cashier
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Customer Service Manager
Performs customer checkout transactions using a register.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Emphasis and primary challenge in this position is on following
front end checkout procedures in all transactions, maintaining
positive customer relations, and expediting processing of all
orders. This position requires ongoing social skills/verbal
interaction, register/scanner operation, reading, light lifting,
and standing. Position functions and work hours may vary according
to business needs. Daily assignments and work direction are
provided by the Customer Service Manager or manager on duty.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
1. Performs product scanning and processing of customer's order in
an accurate, efficient and prompt manner.
- Asks for coupons, Advantage Card and items under the cart before
beginning customer's order.
- Scans each item so it is properly identified by the register
- Ensures minimal waiting time to each customer.
- Obtains prices for items not identified by the register system
and completes scan error forms for discrepancies.
- Has working knowledge of the most frequent PLU codes and new
- Uses care in handling of product.
- Utilizes proper etiquette for intercom calls.
2. Ensures positive customer relations and satisfaction.
- Greets and thanks all customers and provides prompt and courteous
- Directs customer problems to Customer Service Manager as
- Answers or refers questions and responds to requests as
- Makes determination and responds to customer assistance needs
3. Ensures proper handling of all forms of tender and coupons. -
Properly counts and enters cash into register system.
- Verifies information on check and if acceptable, enters and
properly utilizes check verification system. Properly tenders check
into register system - Properly handles, counts and enters food
stamps into register system. - Ensures coupons are valid and
properly entered and credited to correct
- Maintains a neat and organized till.
Approved by Compensation Updated 4/2006
4. Follows front end security procedures.
- Applies security tape as needed for proof of purchase.
- Notifies appropriate personnel in cases of theft or
Frequent: Physical - lifting 10 to 55 lbs., pushing/pulling up to
200 lbs., equipment operation (scanner, register, scale, check
approval machine, coupon machine, intercom), reaching, standing,
turning, squatting, stooping/bending, walking
Mental - judgment/decision making, social skills/verbal interaction
memorization, reading, writing, math
Occasional: Physical - lifting over 55 lbs., equipment operation
(adding machine, calculator), squatting, stooping/bending,
5. Follows all store and department policies and procedures
ADDITIONAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
6. Assists with front end maintenance and cleaning.
- Picks up floor, clears carts, cleans and stocks registers, fills
bag stations, performs shop backs.
- Straightens magazines, fills check stand merchandise.
- Uses personal protective devices (chemical resistant gloves) for
7. Ensures customer service for bagging of groceries. - asks if
paper or plastic.
- uses the least amount of bags.
- watches the weight of the bag.
8. Ensures that carts are available for customers.
- Collects carts in a safe manner and transports to cart room.
- Ensures a ten cart maximum.
- Removes all debris from carts.
9. Education and/or Experience
-High school education (or concurrent enrollment in an educational
institution) preferred but not required
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
Within each essential functional requirement, "Frequent" represents
approximately 15% of the work shift or at least ten repetitions per
work shift; "Occasional" represents approximately 15% of the work
shift or fewer than ten repetitions per work shift.
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions,
experience, educational factors and requirements and conditions
listed in this job description are representative only and not
exhaustive of the tasks that an associate may be required to
perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time and to require associates to perform other
tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive
consideration or the work environment change
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $15.45 - $16.00 per hour
* 401(k) matching
* Dental insurance
* Employee discount
* Flexible schedule
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* Day shift
* Evening shift
* Morning shift
Weekly day range:
* Monday to Friday
* Rotating weekends
* Weekend availability
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Mariano's, Chicago , Cashier/Customer Service, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!