Company: Heartland Alliance
Posted on: November 27, 2022
The Youth & Residential Services division of Heartland Alliance
provides services for over four hundred children who have entered
the country without documents and without their parents. These
programs have been helping vulnerable children feel safe and cared
for in a multicultural environment since in 1995. We serve boys and
girls from all over the world including Asia, Africa, the Middle
East, and Central and South America. Fostering an atmosphere of
family and security, we attend to the emotional, legal, medical,
educational, and recreational needs of the children until they can
be reunited with their families either in the U.S. or in their home
country. Children have a range of needs from very basic care and
services, to more intensive mental health and behavioral
This position will accurately and efficiently prepare, portion,
cook, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for
various meal periods: to include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and
Snacks. The cook will also provide catering, food planning and
preparation services in accord with program guidelines, applicable
sanitation standards and contractual obligations. Individual
accountabilities and work volume will be established through the
development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares and cooks foods that may require short preparation
- Prepares meals in accord with program needs and applicable
federal and state standards, guidelines, and regulations to ensure
high-quality food service is provided and maintain food service
- Follows basic recipes and/or product directions for preparing,
seasoning, cooking, tasting, and carving
- Prepares foods under direct supervision or instruction by
operating a variety of kitchen equipment to measure and mix
ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits and
vegetables, and trimming and cutting meat, poultry, or fish for
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements,
checks production, and keeps records in order to accurately plan
production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment
- Maintains inventory of supplies and food items and assists in
ordering of goods.
- Oversees the delivery of grocery and catering items, as
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies
- May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and must
comply with all HHCS SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures), city,
and state regulatory rules and procedures
- May receive inventory, move, and lift foods and supplies and
prepare meals for participants requiring special diets
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Education and/or Experience: High school diploma, GED, or
equivalent and two years of relevant experience required.
- Language Skills: Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Skills & Aptitude : Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with
professionalism and respect. Maintains a professional relationship
with all co-workers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers,
and client representatives. Requires familiarity of kitchen
equipment. Must be able to read and follow a recipe
- License or Certification: State and city food service
sanitation certificate preferred,
- Preferred Qualifications: Food service experience in an
institutional setting, school cafeteria, banquet and catering
- Other Qualifications: Must successfully pass a background
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and
percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal
with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only
limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of
instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule
- General Qualifications: Willingness to be open to learning and
growing. Maintain high standards for work areas and appearance.
Maintain a positive attitude. Must comply with any dress code
requirements; Must be able to work nights, weekends, and some
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand 90% of time.
- Required to regularly walk, stoop, kneel, and climb.
- Required to regularly use hands to handle or feel and reach
with hands and arms.
- Ability to lift/move 40 lbs., independently, and up to 50 lbs.
- Required to work regularly with sharp objects.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be required to remain on Organization premises
during breaks and/or meal periods and may be required to stay on
Organization premises until their replacement arrives.
- Generally, in an indoor setting, however, may supervise outside
activities and events.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be
occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions
without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity,
marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin,
physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity,
immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, ex-offender
status (depending on the offense and position to be filled),
unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose
primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of
living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV
infection, in accord with the Organization's AIDS Policy Statement
of September, 1987. Individuals with disabilities requiring
accommodation should contact the Employee Services Office at (312)
I,A3303_837_0 Associated topics: baking, cocinera de la parrilla,
cocinera de la preparacion, diner, food prep, kitchen, kitchen
prep, meat cutter, restaurant cook, roasting
Keywords: Heartland Alliance, Chicago , Cook I, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!