Company: Midwest Academy for Gifted Education
Posted on: November 27, 2022
Job duties summary: You will be working inside a classroom:
* Primarily, you will be assisting 1-2 children that need
behavioral or academic supports.
* when time allows, you will be assisting either a teacher run
small groups, work on projects, or implement instruction the lead
teacher provides you with,
This is a M-F, 8:15-3:30 position for a teaching assistant or
paraprofessional though we do have the flexibility to make it only
4 days a week or only afternoons or slightly less time.
Want a little bit more detail? Keep reading! We have 2 students
that need someone to help them, one is 6, the other is 10.
* Be willing to be trained! That's the most important thing. We
don't expect you to know how to do the below things, however
experience doing these things definitely helps! But, we may have
slightly different protocols.
* Break the work into little pieces. Remind student of the
directions or classroom routines. Ex: "start wtih putting today's
date on the top line."
* Facilitate and deepen social interaction for the students that
struggle. Typically, the students need to be praised for positive
social behavior and ignored or reminded or corrected for doing the
opposite. Some general examples are keeping things to appropriate
subjects and knowing when to take a turn and when to wait, needing
hand raising modeled for them, needing to be reminded to use kind
language and an indoor voice. You might be running some sort of a
token economy scheme with the student to increase cooperation.
* Preview activities. You will be learning a new math skill this
afternon. Remember, you've learned other new math skills before,
and you will learn ths one tool
* Provide the studnet with information about what they are doing
well. "You are working hard on writing out the solution to this
problem. You are keeping your desk neat and tidy. Your outline
looks very organized. It was nice of you to ask your classmate if
they were okay."
* Take the student out for a break. If you see the student is
getting tired, sleepy, agitated, frustrated, time for a break.
* Break the assignment into small steps and redirect student to the
next step as needed.
* Help student stay physiclaly safe, ex reminder to not push others
when lining up.
* Be prepared to repeat the teacher's lesson in a quiet space and
help complete the work by giving a break every few minutes (stop
Excellent interpersonal skills, communication, and willingness to
be a part of a collaborative team are a must. Weekly supervision
opportunities are available.
We prefer somene who's been a teaching assistant/taught something
beforehand, has experience wtih childre, likes children, ideally
has been an aide or an ABA tech before, or assisted a DIR/FLOOR
based OT, or has done some counseling and or worked with some high
functioning specail needs kiddos.
We are hiring for a variety of other positions. Send us a
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract, Temporary
Pay: $20.00 - $22.00 per hour
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Professional development assistance
* 4 hour shift
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
* On call
* Self-determined schedule
* are you over 21?
* How many years have you been a para or aide to elementary
students that are high functioning, inside a classroom?
* Bachelor's (Preferred)
* Experience working with students: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Midwest Academy for Gifted Education, Chicago , Teacher Assistant/Paraprofessional, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!