Client Service Specialist - Days
Company: University of Chicago Medical Center
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Join a world-class academic healthcare system, UChicago Medicine, as a Client Service Specialist in the Anatomic Pathology Lab. In this role as a Client Service Specialist, you will be responsible for providing high-quality service to laboratory outreach clients, physicians and staff in a high-stress environment. Specialist performs accessioning of consultation and referral materials (blocks and slides) which supports transfer of patient care to UCM or provides secondary opinions to Outreach clients. Support is also provided for send-back of all patient materials to originating facilities and coordination/mailing of referral tests to external labs and triage of specimens to in-house laboratories. The Anatomic Pathology Lab is known for the internationally recognized pathology faculty at the University of Chicago. They provide world class consultative services by delivering timely, precise, and insightful results in a collegial and supportive manner. Our faculty are experts in the study and diagnosis of disease. With a wide array of specialists, we lead the investigation, identification, and understanding of disease, providing physicians with critical information to treat and manage the patient condition.
Responsible for client contact that can be over the phone or through e-mail,live chat, or fax. Additional duties are for the provision of specimen receipt, assessment, quality assurance, and pre-analytical processing services for multiple clinical laboratory sections; including, but not limited to Anatomic Pathology, Cytology, Molecular Pathology, Cytogenetics, and UChicago Medical Laboratories. Includes verification of missing information and activating a specimen rejection process as per written policies and procedures. Includes receiving specimens and requisitions for test ordering, entering orders into laboratory computer system (Sunquest, CoPath, and/or 4 Medica), Verifying/reviewing orders, generating appropriate specimen collection labels, directing samples to appropriate laboratory sections, and responding to telephone inquiries for test results and other information such as specimen collection requirements. Work may include basic or advanced pre-analytical specimen processing services and includes post-analytical processing tasks such as specimen send-out and processing of shipments. Duties include assisting the daily operations of all outreach collections facilities and following up with client requests and issues. This includes client services, phlebotomy, and courier services.
Essential Job Functions
* Client Service Specialists are expected to handle many client calls a day, with the ability to service callers with minimal transfers. Responds and assists in the resolution of client and patient issues or concerns, utilizing appropriate resources to make informed decisions.
* Serves as a liaison and resource to the technical laboratory associates in problem-solving activities related to outreach specimen collection, processing, reporting, and courier activities. Log client contacts into the relevant application for tracking purposes. Assists the courier to ensure smooth and timely operations.
* Prepares paperwork and processes molecular pathology specimens. Conducts pre-analytical specimen preparation through centrifugation, aliquotting set-ups, pHing, and other types of processing as necessary prior to distribution to appropriate laboratories.
* Specimen integrity is maintained by following appropriate transport procedures as well as shipping and packaging procedures in the case of specimens being sent out for testing.
* Packages appropriate specimens and related paperwork and sends to reference laboratories when necessary (i.e., molecular testing). Enters pertinent information in laboratory computer system and forwards billing information appropriately. Returns outside materials as needed to submitting institutions.
* Coordinates orders for supplies and consumables needed for the operation of the Outreach sites.
* Manages inventory including collection supplies, requisitions, and fax machine supplies provided to current clients in order to ensure compliance standards are being upheld. Maintains supply inventory for work areas. Enters item on order sheets and places supply orders in computer system. Receives, dates, distributes, and stores inventory appropriately. Notifies supervisor of discrepancies in product ordered / product shipped.
* Monitors and records quality control/safety data as required by accrediting agencies. Performs and documents any necessary routine corrective actions. Escalates serious or persistent issues to the supervisor. Documents and performs all required maintenance procedures, continuing education, rejected specimens, quality improvement monitors, and annual compliance modules as scheduled.
* Associates degree in clinical laboratory science, life sciences, or related field from an accredited college or university
* Knowledge and ability to appropriately handle and prepare a variety of laboratory specimen types.
* Knowledge and ability to use laboratory/hospitals information systems.
* Knowledge and ability to use automated and conventional laboratory equipment.
* Must support the mission, vision, values, and strategic initiatives of the organization and demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public, and co-workers.
* Bachelor's degree preferred
* Training or experience in clinical laboratory science preferred
* Visual acuity; Good manual dexterity and fine motor skills; ability to multi-task.
* Ability to interact in a professional manner with individuals at all levels with excellent interpersonal skills
* Superior and proven customer service skills including positive language, clear communication, and phone etiquette
* Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations and demonstrate patience.
* Job Type/FTE: Full time (1.00)
* Shift: Days (8:00am-4:30pm and 9:00am-5:30pm)
* Unit/Department: Anatomic Pathology
* CBA Code: Non - Union
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Why Join Us
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual ori
Keywords: University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago , Client Service Specialist - Days, Other , Chicago, Illinois
here to apply!