Patient Care Tech
Company: RML HEALTH PROVIDERS
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Job Title: Patient Care Tech
Department/Location: Nursing 4th Fl. / Chicago, IL
Shifts: Days. 7:00 am - 7:30 pm OR Nights 7:00 pm - 7:30 am
Full-time (72 hours per pay period) + Benefit-eligible
Req. Number: 1312
**$3,000 Sign-On Bonus!**
RML Specialty Hospital is a Long-Term Acute Care Hospital (LTCH)
offering nationally recognized expertise in critical care for
patients who need an extended hospital stay.
Why Join the RML Team?
- No two days are alike at RML.
- Career advancement and growth opportunities
- Continuous learning is integral to - and supported by - our
- Teamwork is at the heart of all we do.
- Your skills - and your innate compassion - will allow you to
truly make a difference for patients and their families every
- RML's compensation is competitive and our benefits package is
RML offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits
package. Employees can choose from a large selection of benefits
that help protect their health, wealth, and well-being. Benefits
- Life and Accidental Death InsuraDisability Insurance
- Free Parking
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Banking Alternatives
- Referral Rewards (upwards of $5k)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Retirement Plan For every $1 an employee contributes (up
to 4 percent of their salaries), RML contributes $1 to their
accounts. Employees are 100 percent vested in the money both they
and RML contribute.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) RML offers employees flexibility in taking
time off. Full-time employees receive 26 days each year.
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) For employees who may need help
managing stress, RML offers an EAP at no cost. Counselors are
available 24 hours a day to both employees and their family
- Employee Fitness Room Under the direction of the Registered
Nurse and according to established policies and procedures,
provides basic nursing care to patients. Assists professional
nurses and respiratory therapists with complex patient care up to
the validated level of training. Provides age and developmentally
appropriate care to adult and geriatric patients and their
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Exemplifies the RML REACH (Service Excellence) culture by
demonstrating respect, excellence, appreciation, concern and honor
in all interactions with patients, families and co-workers, and as
identified in departmental and hospital wide behavioral
- Provides technical nursing care up to the validated level of
training for the individual, under the direction of a Registered
Nurse. Records information promptly and accurately in the medical
record. All care provided is consistent with and appropriate to the
age and developmental status of adult and geriatric patients. The
patient care technician:
- Provides timely and complete personal hygiene care and
activities of daily living, including bathing, turning, weighing,
toileting, ambulating, positioning, and feeding patients. Provides
post mortem care. Uses appropriate personal protective equipment,
hand hygiene, and isolation practices in all situations.
- Obtains vital signs and other patient data collection,
including blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respiration. Measures
and records patient intake and output. Performs calorie counts.
Empties urinary drainage bags, linen hampers, etc. Removes and
replaces patient soft restraints according to policy after initial
restraints have been applied by RN.
- Supports the established respiratory care needs of patients.
Replaces tracheostomy mask, nasal cannula or ventilator tubing that
has become disconnected or displaced, and notifies RN or RCP.
Replaces pulse oximeter probe on patient's finger; observes pulse
oximeter readings while providing care and notifies nurse or RCP of
low readings. Reports pulse oximeter, ventilator or telemetry
alarms to the RCP or RN.
- Performs simple procedures such as non-sterile dressing changes
under the direction of a registered nurse.
- Performs common bedside tests including blood glucose
monitoring, and checking stools for occult blood. Reports findings
immediately to the patient's nurse, and documents in Meditech.
- Observes and reports patient signs and symptoms and responses
to treatments. Reports changes in the patient's condition to the
registered nurse and respiratory therapist.
- Assists with admissions and discharges. Orients patient and
family to room, unit and environment. Handles patient belongings
carefully and records them upon admission. Collects and packages
patient belongings at discharge.
- Observes or reports the emotional and spiritual needs of
patients and assists in providing supportive care.
- Answers call lights and responds to needs for all patients, not
just those assigned. Assists other staff members in providing care
to any patient on the unit. Offers assistance to other staff
without being asked.
- Performs related services and duties such as cleaning
equipment, obtaining and replacing patient room supplies, and
similar related activities. Ensures that all supplies used are
charged according to policy.
- Insures the enhancement of personal knowledge and skills by
participating in continuing education programs and reading
pertinent literature, etc.
- Maintains confidentiality of the patient's clinical and
personal information and medical record. Uses information systems,
including computer systems, for hospital business only and within
all hospital policies for information confidentiality and system
security. Complies with HIPAA guidelines.
- Conducts all communications with patients, families and staff
in a positive, respectful manner. Answer telephones in a pleasant,
professional manner. Directs callers to appropriate personnel
and/or relays unit information. Pages personnel and
- Documents accurately and timely in Meditech.
- Provides an environment that is safe for the patient based on
age and developmental status. Activities includes, but are not
limited to: responding to call lights and alarms quickly with
appropriate intervention, using patient's name and date of birth to
identify patient prior to performing patient testing, complies with
swallowing and skin breakdown precautions, and implements
appropriate interventions consistent with the falls prevention
- Facilitates patient/family participation in self-care based on
age and developmental status.
- Demonstrates appropriate psychosocial support based on age and
- Actively participates in staff meetings and continuing
education activities. Participates on committees or task forces and
attends meetings as may be assigned. Meets all annual and ongoing
employee requirements (TB Testing, Annual Review, Annual Clinical
Validation, and performance evaluation, etc.) by demonstrating
completion prior to due date.
- Responsible for supporting a safe work environment for self and
others, by reporting unsafe conditions, and by using appropriate
safe work practices such as proper body mechanics and applicable
safety devices (patient lift and transfer equipment; safety needles
and sharps disposal, PPE, etc.). Complies with Employee Health
Services policies regarding illness and injury reporting. JOB
REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS
Skills and Abilities
The analytical ability to discern significant signs, symptoms and
changes in patient condition and accurately report and document
patient related data.
The interpersonal skills necessary to consistently interact in a
courteous and professional manner with patients, families and
staff; reinforce patient performance of basic care techniques,
communicate with family members; and interact with various levels
of hospital staff.
The physical ability to transport patients and carry supplies and
The organizational skills necessary to deal with a number of tasks
Knowledge and Experience
High school graduate or equivalent.
Demonstrates successful completion of PCT competencies to validate
all required skills.
License & Certifications
Effective January 2001, all Patient Care Technicians must have
acquired skills in providing basic care to patients through
- Completion and documented evidence prior to January 1996 of a
nursing assistant education program certified by the State of
- Successfully passed the written nursing assistant competency
test after January 1996 or
- Enrolled nursing student who has completed one semester of
clinical training, or
- Demonstrated completion of a hospital-based PCT training
program and/or equivalent PCT experience subject to the approval of
the respective Unit Manager and Chief Nursing Officer.
Work is performed in a patient care environment.
Work is performed in a restricted area which requires adherence to
departmental attire policies.
Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. Ability to lift
and push heavy objects (such as stretchers, patient care
The above statements are intended as to describe the general nature
and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job.
They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities,
knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated
This role is eligible for a $3,000 sign-on bonus and is subject to
the terms and conditions of the offer. Bonuses will be pro-rated
for positions less than full-time (0.9 FTE). Registry/PRN positions
are not bonus eligible. Rehires and current employees are not
Keywords: RML HEALTH PROVIDERS, Chicago , Patient Care Tech, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...