Company: Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Student Support Services/Guidance Counselor
Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School
Position Posting: School Counselor
Background Information: Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School,
sponsored by the Mercy Education System of the Americas, is a
Catholic college preparatory, all-girls high school, located on the
southwest side of Chicago. With a balanced vision of academic
excellence, cultural wealth in the liberal arts, athletic
achievement, and a strong spiritual life, Mother McAuley is a place
where young women grow as compassionate, responsible, and
productive Christian leaders. It is through our innovative liberal
arts and college-preparatory program that students are equipped
with the knowledge, skills, and confidence they will need to meet
the demands of a fast-changing world as decision makers and leaders
guided by strong Mercy values. As such, we seek professionals who
are committed and capable to fulfill this incredible mission.
Position Summary: Mother McAuley School Counselors provide
comprehensive, developmental support in the areas of academics,
social/emotional learning, and career/college planning and
exploration. School counselors assist students in developing their
full potential through individual and group counseling experiences
focusing on self-understanding; attention to their unique
interests, abilities and needs in relation to their environment;
relationships; decision-making competence; conflict resolution; as
well as future college and career planning. The counselor works
cooperatively with other counselors, level deans, learning
resources team, school nurse, and administration and upholds the
mission and philosophy of the school. The school counselor needs to
be a person who models personal care with the entire community at
Mother McAuley - students, parents, faculty and staff members. This
is a school year position.
Essential Duties: (other duties may be assigned)
- Assumes guidance and counseling responsibilities for
approximately 225- 250 students.
- Establishes and maintains a positive rapport with students to
focus on academic planning, goal setting, and skill
- Identify and address student needs that affect school
performance, such as academics, poor attendance, discipline
- Collaborates with other department members along with the
administration, the learning resources team, and level deans.
- Schedules individual or group appointments with the goal of
making contact with each student at least once a semester.
- Provides individual counseling, group counseling, and school
counseling classroom curriculum and events for the students.
- Visits classrooms, annually, to provide information and discuss
various counseling related topics, such as, stress and time
management, study skills, decision making, college and career
- Assesses student's developmental needs and confers with the
school's consulting psychologist, when needed.
- Makes appropriate referrals, collaborates and facilitates
recommendations of outside professionals.
- When necessary, meet with parents to discuss assessments and
student counseling goals.
- Consults with teachers and shares appropriate information
needed for student academic success and well being.
- Provides crisis intervention, when necessary, and assists with
implementation of the School Safety Plan.
- Responds in a timely manner to referrals from other counselors,
administrators, deans or teachers when requested.
- Provides presentations to various stakeholders when
- Keeps up-to-date student records and notes of meetings.
- Works closely with the college counselor during junior and
- Review students' individual college applications and write
letters of recommendation.
- Attendance at some evening events is required (Open House,
Parent-Teacher Conferences, Incoming Freshman Registration, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills, oral and written communication
skills are required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple tasks.
- Highly motivated individual with positive energy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
with students, faculty, staff, prospective families and the
- Professional attire is expected on a daily basis.
- Master's Degree preferred along with valid school counselor
credentials (IL PEL, Type 73, LPC, LCPC, LCSW)
- Experience as a counselor in an educational setting or working
with adolescents is preferred.
- Experience in using computer software programs such as Google
Suite, Microsoft Office and various aspects of related computer
software and technological products.
To apply: Apply through the link on the employment page of our
Additional Information: We offer a competitive salary and a
comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision,
long term disability, life, 401(k) with matching and paid time off.
Many opportunities to be involved in extracurricular activities
such as club moderator and coaching are also available.
Participation in these activities is strongly encouraged and
Mother McAuley is an equal opportunity employer and will consider
all applicants equally.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Keywords: Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School, Chicago , School Counselor, Other , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!