Assistant Chief Engineer/Head Janitor
Company: HABITAT COMPANY LLC
Posted on: April 10, 2021
South Commons Phase I Condo Association - 3001 S INDIANA AVE -
Chicago, IL Position Type Full Time Job Shift Day Job Category
Maintenance/Janitorial Description Job Scope: The Assistant Head
Janitor is to assist the Head Janitor in maintaining the physical
integrity of the property. This involves insuring a safe, secure
and comfortable living environment for residents, visitors and
staff. The Assistant Head Janitor will carry out assigned duties in
a safe manner and other duties as requested by the Head Janitor. In
the absence of the Head Janitor, the Assistant Head Janitor will
assume all maintenance responsibilities. Duties and
- Conduct all business in accordance with The Habitat Company's
policies and procedures, state and Federal Laws; e.g. OSHA, ADA,
Fair Housing etc. Perform activities to maintain the continuity of
essential environmental services in order to guarantee resident
comfort and security.
- Conduct building walk-downs daily and replace all burned out
bulbs from hallways and stairwells and--batteries in emergency
lighting as needed.
- Safely operate power equipment, as needed.
- Be aware of utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture
cut-offs and sewer clean-outs.
- Maintains awareness of proper safety precautions at all
- Maintain curb appeal of the property at all times.
- Complete assigned work orders according to company
- Complete final inspection of all units turned over for
- Constantly observes condition of apartment property throughout
the property and immediately reports and/or initiates action to
correct unsafe conditions.
- Assist team as required to meet deadlines
- Report all major repairs and need requisitions to Chief
Engineer and Community Manager prior to any expenditure of
- Change locks and make keys
- Remove and transfer heavy appliances and equipment from storage
area to apartment (or vice versa) as circumstances warrant
- Assist in moving abandoned furniture and other appliances to
dumpster when necessary
- Be knowledgeable of inventory levels of spare parts and
supplies, and inform Chief Engineer of shortages
- Assist in keeping grounds neat and free of litter; rake, sweep
and shovel as circumstances warrant
- Diagnose and perform minor and routine maintenance/repair, as
directed, involving the following on a daily basis:
- Electrical and plumbing (including water lines)
- A/C and heating systems
- Water irrigation systems
- Stairs, gates, fences, patios and railings
- Tile, carpet and flooring
- Roofing, gutters and fasteners
- Interior and exterior lights
- Gas fixtures and appliances
- Shutters, doors, cabinets, window and sliding glass doors
- Boiler, gas and electric
- Door locks
- Security systems (where applicable)
- Ceiling leaks
- Perform other related duties as assigned Preventative
- Must be knowledgeable of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA
regulations governing proper storage and management of hazardous
materials, including solvents, flammable, caustics and Freon.
- Must be aware of the condition of physical property throughout
the property and must immediately correct unsafe conditions; e.g.,
broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights, broken
(door locks, inoperable smoke detectors, gas leaks.
- Schedules and performs minor and routine maintenance on all
appropriate equipment as directed by the Head Janitor and Community
Manager on a regular basis. Inspects and maintains all tools in
- Instills a "safety first" attitude not only with maintenance
but also with all residents.
- Ensure that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
- Follows company guidelines for wearing safety items.
- Train Janitor's helpers.
- Assist Manager in completion of annual apartment inspections.
Qualifications Skills and Qualifications:
- Full time janitorial/maintenance experience.
- Basic electric, plumbing, carpentry and HVAC skills.
- Maintain open lines of communication with internal and external
contacts for continuing operations and resolution of problems.
Internal contacts include company personnel on site, corporate
office and residents.
- Ability to assist Head Janitor in their duties.
- Ability to participate in a standby emergency schedule for
evening, weekend, and holiday coverage.
Keywords: HABITAT COMPANY LLC, Chicago , Assistant Chief Engineer/Head Janitor, Professions , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!