Machine Shop Technician
Company: SGS Group
Location: Melrose Park
Posted on: May 16, 2022
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and
certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark
for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS
operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around
This position is responsible for the cutting, identification, and
machining of the test specimens and materials for subsequent
testing in the laboratories. The position is focused on the correct
preparation of specimens to comply with internal procedures,
industry standards, and written instructions. The individual will
interface with internal customers of the shop in such a way as to
promote teamwork and cooperation among all of the related
departments. Candidates will be expected to support SGS in such a
manner as to fulfill the company's mission statement, quality
objectives, and safety objectives.
This position plays a key role in the integrity, accuracy, and
on-time performance of the laboratory. The entry level job duties
for this position are the first hand to prepare specimens after
they are received from the customer. Correct processing at the
critical first stage forms the foundation of all subsequent
preparation and testing steps. Successful candidates will be
- Read and understand written instructions
- Follow test preparation and testing procedures to ensure
compliance to standards and specifications per the SGS quality
- Adhere to all applicable regulations, policies, and procedures
for health, safety, and environmental compliance
- Provide technical support and assistance to staff and
- Maintain and clean laboratory instruments and
- Be crossed trained in other departments as needed
- Communicate with staff and supervision to ensure proper order
- Train new employees as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Machine Shop Technicians will be trained to operate: Sheet metal
shears Metal cutting band saws Heat treatment furnaces Related hand
tools and equipment
Education and Experience
- Two to four years related experience and/or training;
equivalent of education and experience; or college or university
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Physical Factors and Working Conditions
- The employee is occasionally required to work near moving
mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and outdoor weather
conditions. The noise level is generally loud.
- This position occasionally requires the employee to stand,
walk, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger,
handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk/hear.
- The employee must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust
- The ability to understand how to move items weighing up to
5,000 pounds safety
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire,
train, and promote persons in all job classifications without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability,
age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other
characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without
reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are
representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive
statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a
general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts
the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and
responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you
have difficulty completing the on-line employment application
because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance
and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note,
this phone number is not for general employment information, but is
only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a
position due to a disability.
Keywords: SGS Group, Chicago , Machine Shop Technician, Professions , Melrose Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!