Director of Production
Company: Jackbox Games
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job DescriptionJackbox Games is looking for a Director of
Production to join our team!Who are We?Jackbox is a small game
studio (-74 people) best known for our Jackbox Party Pack
franchise: a set of five social party games released every fall.
Since 2014, our games--like Quiplash, Drawful, and Trivia Murder
Party-- have been featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,
by Polygon, and in living rooms and finished basements across the
world.In 2020, we had over 200 million users. And we have hard
evidence that one of those users was Academy Award-winner Charlize
Theron.You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about how
our games work (spoiler: your phone is the controller!) and who we
are and what we make at jackboxgames.com.What's the Job?The Jackbox
Party Pack's production team is responsible for defining, driving,
and continuously improving production plans and processes to
support their development teams in meeting their goals from concept
to launch. As the Director of Production, you will be accountable
for the success of a team of producers, including its people,
processes, and tools. You will also work closely with leads across
The Jackbox Party Pack team to organize and communicate goals,
timelines, budgets, and decisions, as well as resolve major risk
and scope issues throughout development.We are looking for a leader
who is a champion for agile ways of working, who embraces a growth
mindset while creating an environment of continuous improvement and
excellence, and who is excited and motivated to help develop the
management culture at Jackbox Games.ResponsibilitiesFor the
- Manage members of the production team. Guide their professional
development through 1:1s, performance feedback, goal-setting, and
- Foster alignment within the production team around studio and
project goals while driving a consistent production approach that
encourages experimentation and innovation while balancing the need
to deliver goals.
- Manage production team capabilities through hiring, internal
development, and team structure, which may include reorganizing
teams to most efficiently deliver high quality products.For The
Jackbox Party Pack team:
- Collaborate with product and domain leadership to define and
implement project goals, roadmaps, budgets, and staffing plans
while ensuring alignment with studio needs and best practices.
- Keep us nimble by coaching teams to find ways to simplify or
automate processes and workflows across all areas of game
- Make information, such as scope, progress, deadlines, risks,
and blockers transparent and accessible.
- Improve communication by removing barriers and bringing the
right people together.
- Be a champion for agile methodologies to ensure we are
constantly inspecting and adapting our work and the ways we work
together so we are getting the right feedback as soon as
- Facilitate problem solving conversations around areas of risk
or inefficiency by asking "why?" to get to root causes.
- Steer development teams through change management to take ideas
from "we should…" to "we are…"For the studio:
- Help us cultivate an inspiring and rewarding culture for
creativity, innovation, and excellence that make Jackbox party
- Help us develop standards for people management at Jackbox
Games by modeling best practices for relationship building,
coaching, and goal setting.Ideal Candidates...
- 5+ years of senior-level production experience in game
- 2+ years of direct people management experience.
- Have led a creative development team and participated in
fostering teamwork and developing processes and organization
strategies to improve how those teams function.
- Have a proven track record of applying agile concepts and
- Understand and embody servant-leadership, seeking diverse
perspectives from the team and encouraging bottom-up
- Know how to build consensus and get buy-in from stakeholders,
while still advocating for a clear vision.
- See the big picture when it comes to Jackbox Games' strategies
and can align team goals with corporate values and endeavors.
- Have exemplary communication skills, social and emotional
intelligence, and empathy.
- Have experience with project management or task tracking
software (Jira, Confluence, etc).We value kind, motivated and
creative people. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must work
collaboratively. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence
and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.Jackbox
Games is committed to providing employment opportunities without
regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin,
ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.Okay, but what are the
- Competitive pay and benefits. 401(k) with matching. And we pay
100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision,
disability and life insurance for our employees. We also cover a
really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for
spouse/partner/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance. Paid
- Flexible work schedule and environment. Currently, our
employees are encouraged to work where they feel the safest and
most productive. Our office in Lincoln Park in Chicago is open (and
fully stocked with snacks) for folks that prefer to work in the
office. We also offer remote work in the following states:
California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts,
Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont,
- Unlimited PTO. Take time off when you need to recharge, take a
trip, or just catch up on life.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that
is full of talented and innovative folks. Most of the day, the
place is pretty quiet (we're a focused bunch), but this is
punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment.
- Free food either virtually or in the office. We stock our
kitchen with snacks as well as offer doordash credits quite
frequently.Interested?Great, we look forward to reading your
application. Please include:
- Your resume.
- A cover letter. You don't need to be a professional writer for
this job (we have those) but communication is important so we weigh
cover letters heavily. You can (and should) write more, but we
won't evaluate applicants that don't at least answer these two
- Why are you interested in working at Jackbox Games?
- What is your favorite game and why? There's no right answer and
liking games isn't required for the job. We mostly just want to
know if you've read this far.On the fence? If you're interested in
the job but worried you aren't qualified, we encourage you to err
on the side of applying. We'd hate to miss out on great candidates
just because they're worried they don't check every box on the job
description.We know it is a time commitment to prepare an
application and we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing
every complete application and responding one way or the other. But
that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us a
while to get back to applicants, so please be patient with us and
no phone calls.Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!Powered by
Keywords: Jackbox Games, Chicago , Director of Production, Professions , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!