Ophthalmic Technician - Ophthalmic Technician
Company: The University of Chicago Medical Center
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Ophthalmic TechnicianJob Description
Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system at UChicago
Medicine as an Ophthalmic Technician with our Ophthalmology clinic
in Hyde Park. The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
provides medical and surgical treatment of eye diseases. The
department members' interests include cataract surgery with lens
implantation, transplantation including corneal diseases plus
refractive surgery, vitreo-retinal surgery, and medical diseases of
the retina including special treatment of diabetic retinopathy and
age-related retinal degenerations, eye plastic surgery, strabismus
surgery, and neuro-ophthalmology.
Sign-On Bonus Eligible!
In this role, under the direction of the Eye Center manager, the
Ophthalmic Technician assists the attending physicians in the exam
and care of the Eye Center patients.
Essential Job Functions:
* Take patient medical, past medical, family, and medication
histories. Record patient ocular history.
* Measure and record visual acuities and intraocular pressures.
* Evaluate the pupil, estimate the anterior chamber depth, and
examine the eyes for afferent papillary defect.
* Administer eye drops, dressings, and shields.
* Assist physician in surgical procedures.
* Instruct the patient on post-operative care and documents
* Exhibit basic knowledge and understanding of ocular motility,
visual fields, contact lenses (basic principles & fitting
procedures), and ocular pharmacology. Perform color vision,
lensometry, exophthalmetry, Amsler Grid, and Schirmer testing.
* Maintain instruments, equipment, and a clean/sterile
* Maintain supply inventory and orders accordingly.
* Prepare clinic for routine readiness review.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Must have a high school diploma or equivalency.
* Successful completion of an accredited program for Ophthalmic
Technicians is required.
* Applicant should possess one year of satisfactory, work
experience under ophthalmological supervision.
* Must be certified by the Joint Commission on Allied Health
personnel in Ophthalmology or equivalent.
* Considerable skills in communicating verbally, in handling public
contact with discretion, tact and courtesy, and in determining
priorities, organizing work, working independently and in making
* CPR certification required.
* Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT) or Certified Ophthalmic
Medical Technologist (COMT)
* Job Type/FTE: Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
* Shift: Evening - 8-hour shift
* Unit/Department: Ophthalmology
* CBA Code: Non-Union
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work
approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will
generally be scheduled to work day shift, from approximately
8:000am-4:30pm and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We
anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100% at the Hyde Park
campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will be
Monday-Friday. You will not be scheduled to work on weekends.
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a
condition of employment. If you have already received the
vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment
process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu
Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions
will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a
pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are
also required for all employees prior to hire.
Why Join Us
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide
superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each
patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need
employees with passion, talent and commitment--- with patients and
with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical
innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our
collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human
life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for
you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters.
Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving;
from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the
Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be
a part of this pursuit of excellence at:
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity
employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual ori
Keywords: The University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago , Ophthalmic Technician - Ophthalmic Technician, Professions , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!