Company: The University Of Chicago
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Department -Investment StrategyAbout the Department -The Office
of Investments is committed to protecting and growing the
University of Chicago's endowment assets to support UChicago's
mission of inquiry and academic excellence. Our office invests the
University's endowment while operating under the guidance of the
University's Board of Trustees Investment Committee. The University
of Chicago's endowment pool is one of the 20 largest private
university endowments in the United States. We thrive on innovation
and active sourcing of investment opportunities. We believe
superior investment opportunities rarely find us, instead we seek
them out.Job Summary -The Investment Office is seeking an Analyst
to become an active member of our investment team, a group of
portfolio managers and fellow analysts who value teamwork,
intellectual curiosity, and collaboration. Under the direct
supervision of senior managers, the Analyst will perform a wide
range of activities to support the team's asset allocation,
portfolio construction, and portfolio management responsibilities.
The Analyst will have the opportunity to meet with leading
investors from around the world, and their work will directly
impact the financial foundation of the institution, ensuring
continuation of the University of Chicago's mission for current and
future generations.This unique opportunity is for applicants who
have demonstrated exemplary work ethic. Beyond a bachelor's degree,
we are seeking team-oriented professionals that possess strong
analytical, writing, verbal communication, and organizational
skills. Intellectual curiosity and critical thinking are of utmost
importance. For Analysts pursuing advanced education, the
University offers financial support for an MBA at the Booth School
of Business and a CFA Charterholder
- Under direct supervision of the Managing Director of Strategy,
assists the team in investment analysis to drive decisions in our
diversified global portfolio.
- Researches, prepares, and writes memos and presentations to
support long-term strategy decisions across the various pools of
capital at the University.
- Supports the team in sourcing, research, analysis, and ongoing
due diligence of external investment managers for the University's
various investment pools. Includes meeting with managers,
conducting rigorous quantitative/risk analysis, reviewing manager
reports and letters, attending annual meetings, and debating
investment theses with the team.
- Prepares data-driven investment memos recommending compelling
investments for our portfolios.
- Writes meeting notes and tracks documents and other qualitative
and quantitative information related to our investments.
- Networks with institutional peers and managers to stay informed
about investment trends and discover compelling investment
- Collaborates with team members across the Investment Office to
share best practices, refine underwriting and reporting processes,
and conduct topical analysis.
- Interfaces with colleagues on the Risk and Investment
Operations teams to investigate and resolve issues in a timely
- Interacts with multiple constituencies across the University as
well as external partners and audiences. Represents the University
at meetings with managers, peers, and at industry events.
- Prepares exhibits for use in presentations to the management
team and Investment Committee.
- Supports some facets of the investment process, including the
selection and monitoring of external investment specialists across
- Assists with sourcing and due diligence of potential new
investments and performs industry analysis to determine investment
attractiveness of various investment strategies.
- Performs other related work as needed.Minimum Qualifications
-Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university
degree in related field.---Work Experience:Minimum requirements
include knowledge and skills developed through
- Coursework in finance, economics or accounting.
- CFA designation.Experience:
- Business experience.Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Excel and Powerpoint; advanced Excel skills and proficiency in
Microsoft Office products.
- Data analytics.
- Proficient with software programs such as AirTable and
- Knowledge of or prior experience in drivers of asset class
- Learn various software programs used by the Investment
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to grasp
complex data problems and collaborate with senior team members to
enhance analytical frameworks to identify unique insights.
- Strong writing skills. Responsible for drafting presentations
- Identify and distill relevant facts and present them in a
concise manner; record meeting notes, identifying themes/concerns,
drawing conclusions, and identifying next steps.
- Strong verbal communication skills. Communicate effectively
with the team, external constituents, and the broader Investment
Office. At times, tasked with being in the weeds, and at other
times looking at the bigger picture; adept at moving between these
- Strong organizational skills. The Analyst will operate with a
great deal of autonomy and must be able to manage their work
processes, communicate work flows, and ensure they are able to meet
deadlines, often in an environment with changing priorities.
- Exemplary work ethic. The Investment Office is fast-paced and
the team processes a considerable volume of activity; enjoy and
embrace this type of work culture.
- An interest in portfolio management and institutional
investing. Curiosity and a continuous desire to expand their
knowledge of the investment process, capital markets,
decision-making, and economics.
- Function effectively as a team member and work independently as
- Thorough professionalism.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and exercise strong judgement
when managing confidential information and high-profile
- Office setting.
- Remote work schedule.
- Some US travel.Application Documents
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)When applying, the document(s) MUST -be
uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled
Application Documents of the application.Job Family -Financial
ManagementRole Impact -Individual ContributorFLSA Status -ExemptPay
Frequency -MonthlyScheduled Weekly Hours -40Benefits Eligible
-YesDrug Test Required -NoHealth Screen Required -NoMotor Vehicle
Record Inquiry Required -NoPosting Statement -Employees must comply
with the University's COVID-19 vaccination requirements. More
information about the requirements can be found on the .The
University of Chicago is an and does not discriminate on the basis
of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a
disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other
protected classes under the law. For additional information please
see the Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to
complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit
a request via We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join
an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous
inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences,
groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate
intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.All offers of
employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a
review of conviction history.A conviction does not automatically
preclude University employment.Rather, the University considers
conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the
nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the
proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the
position.The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety
Report (Report) provides information about University offices and
programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics,
emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and
information. The Report can be accessed online at: -. -Paper copies
of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of
Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL
Keywords: The University Of Chicago, Chicago , Analyst, Strategy, Professions , Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...